ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No power to fuel pump........

Looking for a ph-quick...
Just bought a project valver, there seems to be no power to the fuel pump. (Not priming when key is turned, and obviously not starting).
Now, i have checked the fuse, its fine, put a multi meter on the pump itself and theres no power going to.

Anyome help me out?

Cheers
Amir

Tungy
Relay is fine. Inertia switch? Going to link the fuel pump upto a battery tomorrow so that it's bound to work and try then. Then trace all the wires back if not.

Deja vu 182
not sure if it has got inertia switch but if it has it ll be on bulkhead or in footwell , it s a switch that trips when you have accident or can even trip if kerbed . it s reset by pressing rubber covered button on top .

Tungy
Okay. Spent this morning on it wqith Amir. WE found out the fuel pump relay was buggered, so we replaced it with the foglight relay and now the fuel pump powers up. Loostened off the fuel line to the rail and fuel is deffinately getting there. Sparks on all 4 leads/plugs, and there is voltage at the injectors. So we suspect its either:
A. not injecting
B. engine is immobilised (previous owner ripped out the alarm system. If it was immobilised he could have cocked up with his wiring)

Any more ideas?

Injectors have power, would appear that there is problem with engine wiring loom, a break in a wire somewhere. As we managed to get the cars close enough to hook my car loom up to the tungys engine loom, turned the key in my car and the engine just turned over and didnt fire. (Hard wired the fuel pump with a 12v battery)

Conclusion:
A break in the loom some where or a completely buggered set of injectors!

Last edited:
So the injectors are getting power, whats the resistance on them? pull the injectors out the head and see if they are firing. if they're not, try a different set of injectors.

Or, buy a different loom, hook that up.

Tungy
Lol we should have photo'd that today Amir :p 3 clios on one drive (In a fashion). Think it's the loom as it's not likely for a set of injectors to just pack up?

Well its very odd but it could be right! Think ive got a spare set somewhere! spose thats the next thing to try! dont fancy changing the loom! :S Power is the same as it is on my valver Dan, so its not the lack of power thats the problem! Theres compression as the engine turns fine, and theres no unsual bangs or anything!
THE SAGA CONTINUES!

2005 Nissan Navara
Well the fuel pump isnt priming, so that rukles out injector failure.

Like I said on one of the other forums...you need to see if your getting 12v at the pump. If you are, its likely the pump. If not, the fault lies elsewhere.
If it has an immobiliser key in the glove box, check the wiring at the switch. check the fuse, relay and all wiring.

Tungy
Okay Dan. I think between the pair of us we could have it done in not much time at all. We just want to prove the engine and gearbox really as we will be splitting it soon anyway.

S2000
why not take the plugs out and turn it over to check if it's injecting or not. From my experience you can easily smell whether it's firing the injectors or not when you have the plugs out.

Just work it through logically - for it to run you need spark, compression and fuel so check them one by one till you find out whats wrong.

Ok Just for everybodies convinience this is what we have checked:
- Ignition, Plugs are sparking
- Fuel, Pump is working, fuel and the rail.
- Power at the injectors
INJECTORS NOT FIRING INTO CYLINDERS - Wiring issue or 4 nakered injectors?

Amir

S2000
was just about to say the same as lemonnobby - if you are definately getting power to the injectors and there is fuel in the rail then I can't see what else it could be other than the injectors. I suppose with that though it's extremely unlikely that they would all go at once so you would have to think it would be something else, is there definately the correct power going to each injector?

If so I'll leave it to someone with a bit more knowhow than me, lol.

Yeah i though that, we compared the power ao the injectors against my valver and there more or less the same. Its a very odd one.

S2000
did you check the power across the two points on the loom plug? as supposed to one of the pins and earth?

iirc it should be about 12v at the loom connection.

Try asking over on retro-renault as although most of them have Ren 19's they have the same engine so might find some help over there.