ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise after fitting alloys

mk 2 1.2 8v
I've just fitted my alloys today myself, was quite proud of myself because ive never even changed a tire before, but all that went down the pan when i took it for a little spin, theres a sort of banging noise coming from all round the car and i can feel a bit of vibration on the clutch, the steering wheel seems to shake etc etc.

The only thing i could think of is that the wheels came came with these black plastic rings, i had no idea what they were for but they seemed to fit over the bit on the car that the wheel goes on?

Any idea what this could be? i bought them new from Rochford Tyres, there 15" wolfrace katana's 195/45/15 my car is a mk2 1.2 any help would be great?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
The plastic rings are to seat the wheels correctly on the hubs.

Place ring on hub, then fit wheel.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
are the plastic circles (spiggot rings) a perfect fit, ie, when you stick it on the wheel it is stuck on not flapping around - they are designned to allow the wheel to be centered on the wheel correctly, so the center bore size of the wheel matches the bore sie of the wheel hub. SO basically if you stick the plastic ring inside the hole on the wheel, then place the wheel on the car, the wheel should be centered and held on the hub, b4 u stick some bolts in place.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
check if the tyres are directional, they will have arrows on them, also check the pressure in the 4 wheels, may need to balance them again

mk 2 1.2 8v
yeah there going the right direction (theres arrows on them so i couldn't f**k that up, i think it might have something to do with that plastic ring, out at the car at the min just going to take it off and have a look

mk 2 1.2 8v
yeah the ring is a perfect fit inside the wheel, but i did it the other way around i put them on the car first then put the wheel on top, do u think thats what the problem is?

mk 2 1.2 8v
ok there wobbling a bit, its like there not tight enough, moving the car a little bit there loose again, theres two of us and we can't get them any tighter, it just won't move any more?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
best, take it to a tyre place and ask them if the spiggots are too small, it could be dangerous, or you could call rochford and ask them if the spiggots that came with the wheels are to big, if you drive it like it, you should check the bolts are tight each journey incase the vibraion causes the bolts to come loose and the wheels will fall off.

mk 2 1.2 8v
they bolts do come loose, just call kwick fit, they said, naah nothing we can do must just be the wrong tyre for the car

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
when u say they are wobbling a bit, what do u mean, when you put the wheel on the hub without bolts do all the bolt holes line up ok ? or do you have to lift the wheel up to put the bolts in - basically the wheel should fit on the car and you should be able to put all the bolts in without having to lift the wheel up etc.. all 4 holes should line up.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
call demon tweeks and order some longer wheel bolts or call rochford immediadely, do not drive the car, if the wheel bolts are coming loose,

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
when you put the plastic rings on the car hub, are they tight ? they should fit like a condom ;) both on the hub (car) and tight when you stik them into the hole on the wheel (center bore) definately order some more bolts - with a wheel off stik a bolt into the wheel and see how much thread is stickign out the other side

mk 2 1.2 8v
its tight around the car hub but not on the wheel, are they definatley the right tyre size because when i ordered them originaly i ordered 195/50/15 but the guy at rochford said i needed 195/45/15, i thot this was a bit strange cos that was the size reccomended for the mk1 clio on there site and 195/50/15 was the size for the mk2, errgh im confused im gona have to go and take them off now

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah the tyre sizedont matter, its the plastic spiggot thing, your saying that it is loose when you put it into the hole on the wheel ? it should be tight and clip into the wheel. may have to order some new spiggot rings off ebay too. call the tyre place and tell them the spiggots are the wrong size and the wheel didn't come with any bolts

1.6 focus zetec....
Sounds like the spigot rings are too small and when the cars moving the bolts are coming loose!!

Kiza

Cup'd Monaco 172
Sounds like the bolts are too long and going tight before they pinch the wheel to the hub.

are the bolts tapered? if so then spiggots shouldn't be necessary.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Sounds like the bolts are too long and going tight before they pinch the wheel to the hub.

are the bolts tapered? if so then spiggots shouldn't be necessary.
:nono:

Spiggots are allways necessary, vibration will eventually lead to the bolts comming loose. - my wheel came off when i didn't have spiggots, not i got a broken wing, and luckily no damage to the hub, disc as i was only doing 5mph :dead:

Last edited:
  mk 2 1.2 8v
nah the blots arent tapered, there about the same size as the ones that came off the steetlies, changed all the tyres back again, 3 of the sipiggots sit really loosley in the wheel and one you have to snap in tight.

mk 2 1.2 8v
just spoke to rochford, there sending 3 more spiggots out, along with my missing centre cap, grrr not impressed with them at all, fair enough there resolving the problem, but they should check these things first before sending them out surley?

mk 2 1.2 8v
no they were 14" steelies before, im hoping it will be sorted when i get the replacement ones from rochford :), aye i will post pics, u don't wanna see it just now though she looks so ugly lol, thanks for your help :)