ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise, bloody noise!

Hello all,

I fitted a nice little setup in my car, two home built sub enclosures and a nice acoustic box for some 6x9s. (fitted behind some race seats to level out the stripped out back) They all have there own amps individually wired up. The amps come from the head unit, the two subs off the rear output (using purchased splitters) and the 6x9s off the front output, and then the car speakers (front doors) on the normal crappy microscopic wires.

The amps are under the seats and grounded on the seat frames just off the body work.

The problem is, i get terrible whining on the 6x9s, probably the fronts as well, but they are so quite you cant hear. The subs have LPFs running so they wouldnt pick it up anyway, but it whines more with more accelerator and more electrical things on. For instance switching the lights on makes it whine more. But if I turn down the main volume I still get the same volume whining comming out the speakers, rev it and it gets louder and higher in pitch.

Any ideas?

Paul

Thats what I thought, but everyone one I asked started with a sharp intake of breath, you know.

"wwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhuuuuusssssssshhhhhhhhh well, its hard to say what it is wrong with it"

Its the alternator isnt it?

"Well it could be, or anything connected to it, you could put a supressor on the line but that would cost and, well I dont know son, we would have to take it apart to look at it"

Then you ask how much and its followed by something reminisant of Hurrance Jeane standing next to you.

Paul

Either needs supressing or needs a shorter, heavy duty earth lead! How thick is the wire? How far from the Amp is the earthing point?

Well the earth cable is no more than 30cms on all of them, but its all about 1 cm thick, or something like that. So do I need to go thicker still?

Paul

Volvo S60 T5

You should be able to get a suppressor from any local motor factors or even maplin, dont cost much and you can fit it yourself.

Id still check your earth points, are they good solid connections to baremetal? Make the earths shorter if possible, where do the speaker cables run in regards to the power cables.

Aha pete, you may have something there. They all run together down under the bottom bit under the door.

Would that cause such a problem?

Paul

Trophy Turbo :)

make sure your RCA leads are not running near your Power cable as this iss a common Problem of Nasty noise, When you rev the car with the radio on doe sit we louder?? and the less louder when the revs drop off?

Andy

Andyrig,

Yes it whines louder or quiter depending on the revs, sometimes it sounds cool, but most times not. I conned a mate into thinking I had a turbo :D...well for 5 minutes anyway. No matter whats its on, radio/md/cd it still does it, used to be terrible on radio. On medium wave it sounded like a fart machine, not checked recently, but I dont think its doing it anymore. But the whining is definatly still there. Will think about moving the power cables when I get a day off when its not raining, the buckets need to come out and its an arse to do.

Paul

Polo + Micra

sounds like the regulator has gone on the alternator (not converting ac to dc properly)
or the brushes have gone on the alternator (creating radio interference[sp?])

Trophy Turbo :)

yer mate, RCA and speaker cables down One side and Power and Remove down the other and you should find that it will go away ;-) let mw know how u get on

Andy

Right, switched on the old radio today, fart central on MW and LW but FM was just whiney.

Will see how busy I am over the next few days and maybe have a bash...and if there is more time have a look at the wiring...boom boom

Paul