ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noise from engine

clio 172 cup
hi people need abit of advice ive had my 172 cup a few days now and it seems to have developed a rattle from the engine but its only there when the engine gets hot it increases when the engine is reved but i can only really hear it when inside the car i had a listen with the bonnet up and the noise could only just be heard. it seams to get up to temperature very quickley too it doesnt over heat it just gets up to temp pretty quick in about 1m of driving
any help would be much appreciated

clio 172 cup
it seems to drive fine but i only picked it up on saturday and the weather has been crap so not had chance to test the performance really

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
When you drive the car you say it takes 1m to warm up to full temp? that cant happen in this weather,

Got plenty of anti freeze in the car?

clio 172 cup
not full temp it just seems to move quicker than my old car (vectra gsi) and there is plenty of antifreeze the garage were i brought it from changed it along with a service and the cambelt its the rattle im more worried about to be honest

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Ahh ok,

Can you tell us were abouts which side the noise comes from? could be a pulley etc gone

clio 172 cup
it sounds like the cambelt area but that has been changed i read something about the variable valve pulleys can become noisey, but the noise is so quiet when outside the car its hard to say

Last edited:

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
i've recently picked up a sort of woody woodpecker type tapping also, although my clio is only a 1.2 16v.

But it's strange it only ever happens when the engine reaches it's operating temp, you don't hear it when the car is idling only when you depress the accelerator a minimal amount and after about 1.5k revs it basically gets drowned out. The noise also doesn't increase or reduce in speed with revs. Like the above post it is hard to locate seems to be coming from driver side, and is louder in the car than with the bonnet open outside.

Any ideas on what this could be, pulley, tappets?

Car is due it's MOT on monday anyway so we will see...

Cheers
-Mavez

Mk5 golf gti
i had this an it ended up bein the loose engine cover from it not bein screwed back in properley
lol

clio 172 (52)
ive had my 172 2 weeks and theres a nouse from the top of the engine (sounds more like a diesel when i turn it on), is there any common problems with valves, cam followers ar any thing along those lines. and how much would somethn like this cost to fix

172 16v
ive had my 172 2 weeks and theres a nouse from the top of the engine (sounds more like a diesel when i turn it on), is there any common problems with valves, cam followers ar any thing along those lines. and how much would somethn like this cost to fix

i had same prob mate turnd out to be dephaser pully looking around 600 to 800 quid to fix:(

ph1-172
dephaser pully, whats that?
i've been told the air con pully has a clutch assembly that sometimes jams and gets loud.
sorry don't wanna sound stupid but need to know my cars a bit noisey too.