ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise Levels - K-Tec Stealth etc

Looking at getting a new system for my 172 Cup. I don't want something ridiculously lairy, though a little louder than stock would be OK, and I also intend to do a few track days so I need to adhere to sound limits.

Looking at the usual suspects like the K-Tec stealth, which has the added bonus of keeping the clean stock looks, which I like.

Does anyone have any dB readings from track days or similar for these systems, just before I pull the trigger and buy one please? I don't want any rude surprises later on.

Any other systems to consider in the sub £400 price range?

Sorry, who is Fred?

ETA. Supersprint is twice the price of the K-Tec? I'm seeing £680+ shipping?

Last edited:
Sorry, who is Fred?

ETA. Supersprint is twice the price of the K-Tec? I'm seeing £680+ shipping?

yeah they have gone up a bit since I last looked at them (over a year ago now) only 490 without the silencer :p
Speak to Fred at BTM with regards his stealth system he designed not sure on cost, It will be beautifully made though.

Clio 172 phase 1
Oreca it :) have one and love it :) best 450 quid I've ever spent ....that or buy 45 £10 blow up dolls equally as fun

Passat
There are two types of K-Tec stealths. The 'supersport' is noisy. The normal 'sport' is just a tad louder than standard. I rang Fred when I was pricing up exhausts as I'd heard nothing but good stuff about his work. He did say that they were a fair bit louder than standard. I eventually went for the 'sport' from K-Tec and it was spot on. I only owned the car for a few months after that so can't comment on longevity.

PB172,dci100,dci65
I just recorded my K-tec stealth mk2 with center section and a OEM kat.
ON video sounds less noisy that it is. I the car, worst is when doing around 90 km/h and trying to accellerate hard it in 5th gear, than its anoying. Shift down to 4rd, its better, to 3r its much better sound:)
Never had a OEM exhaust, but the Bastuck I had was a lot worse in higher revs, this k-tec is build for higher revs.

TBH I would by more happy if it was something quieter, but I am 30 :)

video links:
Warm start up, reving - http://youtu.be/xUoT90B9-x8
Start and pass by - http://youtu.be/fHlqp6GOm8s

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We had a stealth, lovely quiet exhaust when new, then the baffles fall apart internally and it drones and sounds awful.

I guess its probably made with cheap silencers TBH.

I quite like the magnex for a quite exhaust but they look awful as they have generally got big chavvy tips on them, but one option is to chop that off and put a downturned tip on.

In fact thats what Im going to do next on ours I think, I bought a secondhand magnex box to use but havent had time yet.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
My Ktec stealth droned at 80mph and the baffles went on the centre silencer. Ktec changed the centre section no questions asked though.

I had a decat as well and it made 88db.

Another point is that the system is very heavy, I went through two oem exhaust mounts,

Ph1
We had a stealth, lovely quiet exhaust when new, then the baffles fall apart internally and it drones and sounds awful.

I guess its probably made with cheap silencers TBH.

I quite like the magnex for a quite exhaust but they look awful as they have generally got big chavvy tips on them, but one option is to chop that off and put a downturned tip on.

In fact thats what Im going to do next on ours I think, I bought a secondhand magnex box to use but havent had time yet.

My experience with a Magnex was anything but quiet on the Clio. Loud but truly deafening slap bang at motorway cruising speeds 70 / 80 where it hit peak drone. Also weighed a tonne. Ended up cracking thank god lol

​Heard good things about them on other cars tho.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My experience with a Magnex was anything but quiet on the Clio. Loud but truly deafening slap bang at motorway cruising speeds 70 / 80 where it hit peak drone. Also weighed a tonne. Ended up cracking thank god lol

​Heard good things about them on other cars tho.

The front box on the magnex isnt very good for being quiet, its a bit too small, but the backbox is a decent size.

What was the history of yours, did you buy it new or was it on the car already? They do ALL get noisier with age, so its hard to judge from a secondhand one really.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I've just driven 80miles, 80% motorway. Ktec Stealth, normal sport exhaust. Has actually given me a slight headache

Think I'm on the hunt for a replacement

Clio 172 phase 1
Orecas are loud but let's face it what's the f**king point in spending 350 quid on something thts a little louder than standard you could nearly buy cams for that all out or nothing imo want a job doin do it properly :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Orecas are loud but let's face it what's the f**king point in spending 350 quid on something thts a little louder than standard you could nearly buy cams for that all out or nothing imo want a job doin do it properly :)

To me "the job doing properly" on an exhaust is decent flow from it whilst still maintaining the ability to silence the engine, so I can do racetracks without getting kicked off and do long motorway journeys and not have to shout to talk.

Clio 172 phase 1
I agree point for point but then why spend loads of ££ on something that was already fine... I changed mine for a group n exhaust because I love the noise of it " yeh agreed the stealth noise n all that " just can't help but feel a little more noise for 350quid is a massive waste of money there surely is a line where the money is worth it as for me the oreca ticked that box and I believe it sounds great and any one who bought One would be happy... Mines not that bad at 70mph on the motorway up untill 4k it's fine I think people are giving these orecas too much noise cred it's loud yeh but then change gear at 3.5k on a 30mph road not at the limiter and its fine

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would LOVE to have standard noise from our rs2 and 197 cams car but its too restrictive to have the standard exhaust sadly.

Ph1
The front box on the magnex isnt very good for being quiet, its a bit too small, but the backbox is a decent size.

What was the history of yours, did you buy it new or was it on the car already? They do ALL get noisier with age, so its hard to judge from a secondhand one really.

It was bought brand new Chip, twin tail one, ran with a silenced decat. Was really glad to get rid of it in the end as the car tended to be ran mostly on A roads and motorways where it was at its most droning.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surprised you found it that noisey then mate.
​What did you replace it with as its one of the quieter ones.

Ph1
Replaced it with a Ktec stealth which was miles quieter and didn't have the unbearable drone at 70 / 80 mph.

Saying that i think the Ktec is starting to get a bit louder now or maybe its me getting older lol although its been on the car a good few years.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Replaced it with a Ktec stealth which was miles quieter and didn't have the unbearable drone at 70 / 80 mph.

Saying that i think the Ktec is starting to get a bit louder now or maybe its me getting older lol although its been on the car a good few years.

My experience of the stealths is they start out pretty quiet but it doesnt take a very long time to get noisey. (ie a couple of years or so)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Stealths drone like f**k. I've had two, and both have been f**ked off for a decatted standard system.

PB Clio 172
I have a nice standard Kwik fit one on mine, got rid of the chavy twin exhaust it came with. Its so quiet now and came with a 3 year guarantee !! cannot stand boomy loud exhaust they just do your head in overtime !