ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisey Motorway Trips

A3 Tdi
Hello... Hopfully you will all be able to help me once again...

I do a fair amount of motorway/dc to work and college in my 1.2 dynamique and my car gets fairly noisey. At 3k+ in any gear it starts to sound like i have an induction kit.. :dapprove: around town its not so bad but on the motorway it gets quite iritating when anything above 60mph turns into a constant hummmmm.

Now i have made sure all the filters, hoses and air feeds are tight, but im just wondering if theres anything that can be done to reduce the noise. Obviousley it is a 1.2 so maybe its just the smaller engine and the speeds thats making it quite noisey?

Cheers for ny input

Tom

A3 Tdi
RIGHT...! I think i have figured out why its quite noisey. I havnt got any sound deadening on the under side of the bonet.

Hope who evers cars these are don't mind :approve: On the underside mine is like the silver one, should my car (mk2 ph2 dynamique) have come with the sound deadening?

Thanks again

Nice car ^^^

But sound deadening under the bonnet won't probably make any/much difference, might make a slight difference to driveby but not much. Sounds that are low/deep are difficult to erradicate inside the car compared to higher frequency noise (like tappets etc). Have you checked the airfilter is ok and the airbox is closed properly?

The 1.2 16v I found was really smooth and pretty quiet unless extended beyond 4000rpm/80mph. But found it would happily cruise at 70/75mph with pretty decent amount of refinement.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got the same car as you, not got any of that stuff under the bonnet either, and experience a lot of road noise at motor-way speeds, i just turn the radio up.

See if the noise changes when weight shifts, like when taking a right hand bend / left hand bend.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
I do 100 Miles a day. Pretty much all motorway.
What tyres are you running?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
it could be your wheel bearings. Quite common. Ive changed a total of 4 over the last few years. Dont know why, but my clio eats them.

A3 Tdi
The 1.2 16v I found was really smooth and pretty quiet unless extended beyond 4000rpm/80mph. But found it would happily cruise at 70/75mph with pretty decent amount of refinement.

To be honest i find at 60mph 5gear 3000rpm it starts to get fairly noisey..

Ive got the same car as you, not got any of that stuff under the bonnet either, and experience a lot of road noise at motor-way speeds, i just turn the radio up.

Thats what i end up doing now :rasp:

See if the noise changes when weight shifts, like when taking a right hand bend / left hand bend.

Nope just seems to be constant despite direction.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried out another clio of the same spec? Try and find someone with one or take one out for a test drive and see if it is the same or not.

Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Mine sounds the same as the engine pipes up after around 3000rpm in any gear! Must just be how the engine is?!

Citroen DS3 White
I think the main problem is that it's French. Mine makes a right racket on the motorway, mostly wind noise but with a fair share of engine and exhaust too.

My old Polo was so quiet in camparisson and a bit older.

Merde!

PH1 172 Sport
I dont think ive ever been in a small car thats not loud on the motorway. Even the new mini is loud.

TrackCar & F30 330d
My clio is noisy on every road!

Same here,

My clio is stupidly loud, when i had no interiour my ears hurt a little after a hard drive.
You know when you come out of a night club and you cant really hear very well. Well after a really long drive my ears were like that.
I ended up resulting to little earplugs as i drive the car 50miles everyday to work, which got rid of loads of the noise, sounds a bit stupid but it worked for me, Untill l droped them down a drain, so i thought F**K it and put the interiour back in lol :)

So yeah get some ear plugs :)

The 182 is noticeably noiser in terms of tyre noise compared to the 1.2 16v I had. Firmer suspension and lower profile tyres also transmits more noise too. It's also slightly noisier upto and below 70 but quieter above that (when the 1.2 starts getting louder if you get me; the larger 2.0 engine is relatively unstressed cruising at higher speeds).

Renault Clio S
The 182 is noticeably noiser in terms of tyre noise compared to the 1.2 16v I had. Firmer suspension and lower profile tyres also transmits more noise too. It's also slightly noisier upto and below 70 but quieter above that (when the 1.2 starts getting louder if you get me; the larger 2.0 engine is relatively unstressed cruising at higher speeds).

Indeed - tyre to road surface noise has a lot to do with it. I use a lower profile tyre and on A roads for instance where the surface can change every mile or so, the sound can be deafening one minute and almost silent the next.

CLIO Iceberg 172
research and change your tyres, its the main course for road noise in the cabin, as stated above the lower the profile the less rubber you have to take the shock out of the noise, have a good look at the types of tyres as different brands and different compounds give better or poorer results.

2003 172

my car changes noise when i turn left n right, left the exhaust dethans me but when i turn right its all nice and quiet lol. think the backbox is f*cked