ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

noisy fan belt

clio v6 vw golf r32
ive got a noisy fan belt sounds like an electric milk float ive replaced belt but its still the same ive checked all pulleys and all seem to be ok noise mainly coming from pas pump or alternator is this common as its driving me mad can anyone help thanks

Black 182
Is there plenty of oil in the pas system ? Does the noise increase if you pick the revs up a bit ?

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
ive got a noisy fan belt sounds like an electric milk float ive replaced belt but its still the same ive checked all pulleys and all seem to be ok noise mainly coming from pas pump or alternator is this common as its driving me mad can anyone help thanks

Mine's just started doing this, it increases as the revs pickup too...

Is this for a bus/car/HGV?

Need some more detials please.

It's for an '02 plate 172 FF... haven't had chance to check levels for the PAS yet, but the noise has become more noticeable now after a 500 mile trip at the weekend.

Hmmm Sorry I was talkign to the original starter lol but anyway...

If you lift the bonnet can you hear it while revving it?

u wana check the little idler pulley between the bottom pulley and the a/c compressor. mines gone sounds like a plane

Hmmm Sorry I was talkign to the original starter lol but anyway...

If you lift the bonnet can you hear it while revving it?

LOL, sorry I hijacked the thread! Yeh, you can. You can hear it all the way through the rev range even up to high revs. The car is overdue a cambelt at the minute, not by mileage but by age. Although I don't think the cambelt makes any noises when its about to go does it? It simply goes...?

get under the car mate and u can c it betwwen the bottom pulley and ac pump. if u put a screwdriver to the idler as its running u can hear the noise through the screwdriver.. if that makes sense?? just be careful dont drop the screwdriver into the belt!

Yeah or a piece of wood. Thats a good idea. Likely a fanbelt change will sort that out I assume the kit comes with the new idlers too?

get under the car mate and u can c it betwwen the bottom pulley and ac pump. if u put a screwdriver to the idler as its running u can hear the noise through the screwdriver.. if that makes sense?? just be careful dont drop the screwdriver into the belt!

Yeh i get you.... I will give it a look.......

yea the kit does but i think the kits bout £150!! that little idler pulley is £50 alone.. but best to get it done.. cus if the fan belt goes they have a habit ov goin into the cambelt too

I have have some bits and pieces left from my old engine idlers/pre tensioner/pulleys and all that. which is from a 30k 182 engine. Yours if you pay postage otherwise they will just get chucked.

Almost positive its the actual alternator thats making this noise.... Any idea what I'm looking at cost wise to get it replaced? Can they be fixed or not?

there not cheap mate, probly a couple hundred quid for the unit.. im local in derby and i work renault as a tech.. if u want it replacing we can sort something out.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
More than likely the PAS pump - are any of your PAS pipes leaking ? .....is the reservoir topped up ? ....the pump bearings are lubricated by the PAS fluid so if its low damage may have been caused.

Whatever it is change it quick - dont use the car

A common fault of the F4R736 is the tensioner bearings / PAS pump pulley collapsing and throwing the aux belt into the path of the cambelt causing serious top end ( and bottom end ) damage

there not cheap mate, probly a couple hundred quid for the unit.. im local in derby and i work renault as a tech.. if u want it replacing we can sort something out.

Can you do anything for my completely sheared in half centre section too?!! Getting ridiculous quotes off people for a new one...

Dodgy one
I get more of a whistle beteen one and two thousand revs at idle if i rev it, is it a whistling sound, i cant help but laugh at a plane was thinking of a spitfire

PH1 172 Sport
I get more of a whistle beteen one and two thousand revs at idle if i rev it, is it a whistling sound, i cant help but laugh at a plane was thinking of a spitfire

I get this exact problem ever since i changed the aux belt and pulleys. Is really doing my head in does anyone have a solution for this. Sounds like an air leak somwhere

Just as an update - the noise on mine turned out to be the tensioner on one of the belts. Had a cambelt kit and aux belt kit fitted and it's sorted now.

It's the AUX belt tensioners.

Sounds like a super charger right?

Nothing to worry about ive been told!!!

You're right with the sound description but wrong about it being nothing to worry about I think! If the tensioner fails and collapses then you risk it going into the cambelt and taking it off, so I've been told by a couple of mechanics and have read plenty of times on this forum.

I'd recommend anyone who has this problem to get it looked at and get it replaced.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Anyone know how much a new AUX bet is fitted? Main dealer or anywhere around n.wales area, think this might be the problem with mine, whineing/ screeching sound over 4k revs, sounded like air pressure to me or like others have said a supercharger

Anyone know how much a new AUX bet is fitted? Main dealer or anywhere around n.wales area, think this might be the problem with mine, whineing/ screeching sound over 4k revs, sounded like air pressure to me or like others have said a supercharger

I know the aux belt kit is about £125, whick inlcudes the blet and the other parts, so then you have a few hours labour on top. If your cambelt is nearly due too then you may as well have that replaced at the same time or you're paying the labour to do a similar job twice.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Anyone know a place online to order the aux bet kits? Renault want £315 fitted!