ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noisy Gearbox

172joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hello Clio friends, first post on here and it’s a negative one but I’m wondering if anyone can help me out. My 172 cup is making a rattle/rubbing noise from the gearbox. When the clutch is engaged the noise goes away. Some people are saying clutch release bearing but others are saying it could be gearbox related. If it was the clutch release bearing would the noise go away if it’s pressed down? Hoping I can just changing the clutch and bearing but got a feeling it’s going to need a box rebuild ?. Thanks in advance.

PH2 172
Hello Clio friends, first post on here and it’s a negative one but I’m wondering if anyone can help me out. My 172 cup is making a rattle/rubbing noise from the gearbox. When the clutch is engaged the noise goes away. Some people are saying clutch release bearing but others are saying it could be gearbox related. If it was the clutch release bearing would the noise go away if it’s pressed down? Hoping I can just changing the clutch and bearing but got a feeling it’s going to need a box rebuild ?. Thanks in advance.

I suspect you are confusing engaged & disengaged.
Please read this and then edit your question.

https://english.stackexchange.com/q...out-the-clutch-when-you-technically-engage-it

172joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
My 172 cup is making a rattle/rubbing noise from the gearbox. When the clutch is pressed down the noise goes away. Some people are saying clutch release bearing but others are saying it could be gearbox related. If it was the clutch release bearing would the noise go away if it’s pressed down? Hoping I can just changing the clutch and bearing but got a feeling it’s going to need a box rebuild ?. Thanks in advance.

PH2 172
+1

If the box was making noises in neutral with no load on it, it probably would not even be driveable.

Land Rover
Try changing the gearbox oil. It might still have the original oil in/be low on oil/have the wrong oil in it.
Worth a try for £30

172joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Drives absolutely fine, engages all gears okay, just makes such a racket when the clutch pedal is not pressed down. Sorry I should have added gearbox oil was changed less than 2k miles ago.

Land Rover
I have been quoted £300 for a gearbox overhaul so not the end of the world.

Fitting/removal will cost a few hundred but you could take the opportunity to get the clutch changed at the same time.

172joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
That’s not too bad at all, going to get the box off and see what’s going.