ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non Centred Steering Wheel

Clio 182
Got this problem with my 182 now... The steering wheel is off to the left weng driving straight. F'ing annoying!! Just had it tracked but still the problem occurs!!

PH2 172
Got this problem with my 182 now... The steering wheel is off to the left weng driving straight. F'ing annoying!! Just had it tracked but still the problem occurs!!

It wasn`t me that bumped it,but what`s done is done.
Assuming the tracking was done with the steering wheel clamped central,then the geometry must be altering under load.
Check lower arm bushes,bottom ball joints,track rod ends,top mounts and wheel bearings for movement

Can anyone confirm that aftermarket wheel bosses can only be fitted to the column in a single orientation?

Can the column to rack joint only be fitted in one orientation?

I had a careful measure at the weekend and centred my rack so the tre's were on the same number of turns and the exposed length on either side of the rack body was the same, but the steering wheel was off centre.

Cheers

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Can anyone confirm that resurrecting old threads is confusing?

Just search mate, if your steering isn't pointed straight then your tracking is out. If you've had your tracking checked, they did it wrong. Close thread.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Yup as Jeff said.

If the Tracking people didnt clamp the steering wheel in the correct position then its going to be off center.

I have had mine done on a hunter system and STILL its off center, Im going back to KwickFit for the free 30 days retracking and going to ask that the steering wheel is checked twice as i HATE it being of center. It Annoys me to high heaven

Less confusing than 17 threads covering precisely the same subject. I did search, which is how I found this thread and most of the info I required, but not quite all.

With all due respect, no, its not tracking. Yes you can fix it with tracking, but something else is wrong. Like I said in my post, winding the TREs on the same number of turns and then measuring the exposed length of track rod to ensure the rack is centralised leaves the steering wheel off centre, which normally means someone has had the column an rack separated and put it back a spline or two out. I'm just asking if that's possible on the clio to save me half an hour pulling it apart to check.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
Had mine done properly...

Was straight for a few weeks then went back to being pissed again.

(Ironically it's the car Rob was talking about at the beginning of the thread)

Clio 2 3D 16v 2003
Hell, I got this issue now too! I replaced the front shock absorbers and that's it! Nothing done at the back. No adjustments to any parts that should have an impact on steering or alignment, but the steering wheel is now off centre by a noticable amount.

Granted, the strut forced the wheel in an akward position full force, so in theory it might have bent or stretched something, but that does not explain at all why my wheels are still spot on aligned. It's only the steering wheel that is misaligned. Also, the drive shaft moves and "locks in" in different positions, but again it should affect only one side of the alignment, not both.

To fix this, I could adjust both tie rod ends equal amounts, but if the current issue were to be spontaneously fixed, I would have to revert the tie rod settings. Does anyone have a clue why this might happen?