ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non starting P0300 fault code

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,
Very common code I know but after trawling threads it normally seems to be associated with cars which are running rough caused by a bad injector/coil pack/leads or plugs. In this case the car was running very well, left standing a bit too long over Christmas and now just turns over for 2/3 seconds with no fire. I’m suspecting crank sensor.
Any input much appreciated.
Cheers

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Evening all,
Very common code I know but after trawling threads it normally seems to be associated with cars which are running rough caused by a bad injector/coil pack/leads or plugs. In this case the car was running very well, left standing a bit too long over Christmas and now just turns over for 2/3 seconds with no fire. I’m suspecting crank sensor.
Any input much appreciated.
Cheers
Have you tried the big horrible white plug at the bottom of the engine bay fuse box.. pull it open clean it up with contact cleaner and spray some lithum grease on the contacts and try again. Dunno but mine had stood for a while and same sort of problem i had and that process cured mine.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Flat battery? If its an older, weak battery the recent cold weather might have killed it. Get a multimeter on it. Should be 12.6V if its holding a charge, if its down to 12.4V or less it'll struggle to start or won't start at all.
P0300 will probably be injectors. I had the same recently and changed them for new and everything is spot on now.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Do you mean that if you hold the key in the cranking position the engine will crank for a few rotations and then stop (even though you still have the key in the crank position)?

If thats the case its an immobiliser fault and the issue will most likely be due to corrosion on the white connector pins.

1613527177630.png

With one of the battery terminals removed, I wrapped some sand paper around a hack saw blade and gave the pins a good rubbing

Followed by a rinse out - followed by a does of her hair dryer - followed by a few squirts of WD40 then silicon grease packed it

1613527267993.png

1613527282634.png

All of my problems are no longer problems

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried the big horrible white plug at the bottom of the engine bay fuse box.. pull it open clean it up with contact cleaner and spray some lithum grease on the contacts and try again. Dunno but mine had stood for a while and same sort of problem i had and that process cured mine.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
That's my next move as it's the last cost free step before any parts are ordered. Fingers crossed.
Cheers

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Flat battery? If its an older, weak battery the recent cold weather might have killed it. Get a multimeter on it. Should be 12.6V if its holding a charge, if its down to 12.4V or less it'll struggle to start or won't start at all.
P0300 will probably be injectors. I had the same recently and changed them for new and everything is spot on now.
Pretty certain it's not the battery as the ctek has always been on and it's a recent battery which cranks for some time. After the white plug I'll be looking at the injectors.
Cheers

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Do you mean that if you hold the key in the cranking position the engine will crank for a few rotations and then stop (even though you still have the key in the crank position)?

If thats the case its an immobiliser fault and the issue will most likely be due to corrosion on the white connector pins.

View attachment 1522019

With one of the battery terminals removed, I wrapped some sand paper around a hack saw blade and gave the pins a good rubbing

Followed by a rinse out - followed by a does of her hair dryer - followed by a few squirts of WD40 then silicon grease packed it

View attachment 1522020

View attachment 1522021

All of my problems are no longer problems
Yes it cranks for 2 to 3 seconds then quits. As it cranks the immobiliser light stays on solid which I believe means the key is recognised and ready to start? I'm going to follow your steps on the white plug anyway.
Appreciate the photos.
Cheers

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Pretty certain it's not the battery as the ctek has always been on and it's a recent battery which cranks for some time. After the white plug I'll be looking at the injectors.
Cheers
Ahhh right. I assumed the car had been left standing not plugged in to a ctek.
Does your immobiliser go out when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2 but not try and start it? You should only have 3 lights on in position 2. Stop, handbrake and battery light. The immobiliser light should go out.
Any lights on the dash? If you're getting a P0300 code the eml usually flashes, but only when the engines running.
Best and cheapest place for genuine injectors are Renparts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...3?pageci=67a32550-610d-4bb6-aa2d-e35ada6aea36

Last edited:

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhh right. I assumed the car had been left standing not plugged in to a ctek.
Does your immobiliser go out when you put the key in the ignition and try to start it? Any lights on the dash? If you're getting a P0300 code the eml usually flashes, but only when the engines running.
Best and cheapest place for genuine injectors are Renparts.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-...3?pageci=67a32550-610d-4bb6-aa2d-e35ada6aea36
The immobiliser light remains on and solid as the engine cranks. As above I believe that means the key is recognised? The eml never came on or flashed at any point running the car.
Cheers for the link mate.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The immobiliser light remains on and solid as the engine cranks. As above I believe that means the key is recognised? The eml never came on or flashed at any point running the car.
Cheers for the link mate.
Obviously it won't start if the immobiliser light is on. Try cleaning the white plug as suggested.
Just a thought. Do you have a second key? It's worth trying if you do.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Obviously it won't start if the immobiliser light is on. Try cleaning the white plug as suggested.
Just a thought. Do you have a second key? It's worth trying if you do.
Ok. Definitely read that somewhere on the forum or maybe I misread it. Would have tried the second key straight away but it's long gone during previous ownership. It's all on the white plug for now.
Cheers

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Ok. Definitely read that somewhere on the forum or maybe I misread it. Would have tried the second key straight away but it's long gone during previous ownership. It's all on the white plug for now.
Cheers
Good luck. I hope you get it sorted. If cleaning the white plug doesn't work maybe try a new battery in your key.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers

I believe that means that the key has been read an recognized but the immobiliser is unable to communicate with another module or gets an improper response.