ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob with a Black Gold 182

Black Gold 182
Hello Everybody,

After years of looking, I finally plucked up the courage to invest some of my hard earned dosh into my new toy. I have been a big fan of the Clio for years after a close friend got me involved with a 1600cc 16v Track Car a few years back. He has an RS200 which is currently undergoing a monster turbo conversion and has been telling me for ages to get something to play with - the daily drive is a Leon so my new purchase is to sit in the garage.

I came across the car on Ebay and it was ridiculously cheap - it has a full service history and receipts for 2 timing belts and pulleys with the last carried out only 10k ago. Because of this, I naturally thought that the bodywork was going to be shocking and had every intention of tracking it so pulling out the seats, fitting roll cages etc. But to my surprise, when I got there, there are only a few "marks" on it and a tiny patch of rust under the paint on the nearside corner of the bonnet. So I changed my mind and thought, I would keep it and begin the process of making it pristine... Or something close to that.

When I initially looked at the car, I hated the gold wheels and I expect a few comments on how disgusting or how they aren't the right wheel for the car. But the more I keep looking at the car, the more I am warming to the wheels. And it will allow me to pull out certain things that I want to do to get it all to match... Like the upper inlet cover will sprayed black but the Renault sport embossed logo will be painted gold... same as the calipers etc. It will all done to be subtle though so its not too "in ya face!".

If anyone has any ideas what the wheels are I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts - I have been racking my brains, searching the life out of google but to no avail. I am leaning towards Team Dynamics or BK Racing but can't find any pictures of the wheels I have in mind...

I have changed the front discs and pads and the rear pads to Brembo's already as Euro's were having a deal on and these have made a lovely difference. It needs some other bits but these will follow shortly before I take it to Nurburg on 30th June 2017 - can't wait!!

Photos attached - would be grateful of your comments, good or bad!

Cheers

Steve
20170527_192359.jpg
20170527_192331.jpg
20170527_192320.jpg

Grier

ClioSport Club Member
  A clio...
Very nice mate and welcome!!!

Wheels aren't to my taste but to each their own.

If you need any info at all about literally anything then you're in the right place.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Steve,

Are you down in Plymouth by any chance? That backdrop looks familiar?

Yeah, not a fan of the wheels myself, unfortunately - they 'cheapen' the look of it, if I can be so bold? Are they 15s as well as there appears to be a fair amount of arch gap - or is it not on the Cup Pack suspension?

Aside from that, welcome aboard! Always good to see another BG owner coming on here. :smiley:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome Steve. Car looks tidy but those wheels don't suit it in 15's imo. If you like the style maybe hunt down some cup turinis? They will look loads better.

Black Gold 182
Haha... I did think the wheels would offend and yes they are 15"s. I don't think they will stay on there forever being honest as I do really like the standard 182 wheels.

That said, my youngest son who is 7 would fight any of you as he loves them... Don't worry... I won't tell him!! Lol.

Right end but wrong side - I am down in Folkestone...

If someone could tell me how I find out if it is on Cup suspension I would be grateful...
Cheers

Steve

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Has a cup spoiler but missing the front splitter. The latter you can get from skoda (yep you heard right) for about £15

Black Gold 182
Has a cup spoiler but missing the front splitter. The latter you can get from skoda (yep you heard right) for about £15
This is something that is on the shopping list to get but for the being, the front bumper only just clears the floor when I put it in the garage so I am nervous of ripping it off...

And thank you for the tip on the suspension - the front wheels are coming off to have the front tyres replaced this weekend so I will dig out the tape measure...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
15s work really well on these imo, so long as you've got a corresponding drop in ride height. I really liked them on mine when I borrowed a set.

I suspect you might have the standard struts - even with 15s, it does look a little high.

A set of Eibach Sportlines will work wonders on there. On my 2nd set now and I would replace them with a 3rd set if it ever needed them.

Black Gold 182
Hi all...
Thanks for your welcome and comments...
Not that I have fallen foul of peer pressure, you will almost all be pleased to see the latest updates to my little darling - new wheels and a full DA Polish and exterior detail. I can't believe how well she has come up - look!!!

20170604_194815.jpg

I am so happy with the result of this, it's untrue...

Next weekend is going to be an engine detail so will be spraying the inlets and other bits and giving everything else a dam good clean!! A nice new filter and oil change with the Renault Elf oil will also be carried out along with new plugs (NGK's).

The following weekend, the interior will have the same treatment.

Then it will be a family weekend before and my bestie will be heading to the Nurburgring with out cars.

Can't wait - so excited!!!