ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

not a good start

Clio 172
I will give them a try, thank you. Got another quote of £295 so guessing its the going rate. Hopefully have the gearbox out this weekend

Listerine & Poledo
Chocolate gearboxes are one of the primary reasons I probably wont have another Clio.

Even one that looks as tasty as that :)

Clio 172
cheers mate, and yes only other clio i owned, 1.8 16v, i had the same problems, fixed it sold it to my mate and he never had any problems with it........ typical

Titanium 182
I have probably missed something here but why is everyone saying the seller is within his rights to not pay for this? If I advertised something on eBay as 100% working condition and it was actually faulty, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Surely this falls under trading standards regulations? False advertising?

Clio 172
I am going to phone them today as I believe laws changed last year to protect customer, but I believe also that it is the case of it was OK when I test drove it. But to not even get me 40 miles home is a bit of a joke.

Titanium 182
Well I hope you get this sorted without having to spend your own money. I know you should have noticed this, you should have checked all gears etc etc but you didn't (these things happen), and the seller clearly knew about this fault and omitted it in the advert. To me that's fraud, good luck pal! It's usually the seller that has zero rights in post sale issues lol

172 Turbo
I have probably missed something here but why is everyone saying the seller is within his rights to not pay for this? If I advertised something on eBay as 100% working condition and it was actually faulty, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Surely this falls under trading standards regulations? False advertising?

Private sale = no come back.

Second hand car bought privately
You have fewer rights when you buy from a private seller and key parts of the Sale of Goods Act don't apply – there is no legal requirement for a car to be of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose.

But, legally, the seller must:

• accurately describe the second hand car (for example, an advert must not say 'one owner', when the car has had several)
  • not misrepresent the second hand car (tell you something about the car which isn't true – such as if it’s been in an accident, the owner must answer truthfully).
Not the sellers fault it broke down when it did is it?

Titanium 182
Well even though it appears as though the buyer doesn't have many rights post sale, I still think this is fraudulent. According to OP the seller listed the car as "100% working" so for the car to have no reverse then this directly conflicts with point 2 in those bullet points:
  • not misrepresent the second hand car (tell you something about the car which isn't true – such as if it’s been in an accident, the owner must answer truthfully).
Seeing the information you posted makes me think if the seller hadn't specified the car was 100% sound then he could just laugh his way to the bank, but he has lied and broken both rules you posted. I agree that the OP should have spotted this but IMO this is fraudulent and should fall on the seller to rectify for misrepresenting the car.

Titanium 182
Can't argue with that logic I guess! If he had bought the car through the eBay ad directly then he would automatically get the VPP (vehicle purchase protection) they offer. I bet he just went directly to seller though. I hope you get it sorted burns, not looking good though! What a crappy situation.

Clio 172
Cheers for the comments guys and it will get sorted regardless, the guy obviously knew about the problem and sold me a dodgey car, I've phoned trading standards and even though its private I still have rites and I have a case. Never really wanted to go this far, all I want him to pay for is clutch, gearbox oil and a driveshaft, which being g as he works at euro car parts wouldn't be a problem. End of the day I'm pissed off but will sort things out fairly and properly, all I want is a bit of help towards the repair bill, not asking too much, am I.

If you can prove he knew about the fault and lied when asked about it you'll have a case, if you can't then I can't see it going your way unfortunately mate.

Clio 172
Well he has replied after I sent him blunt message, he seems fine and still willing to help. So that's good, he is doing what I asked and supplying clutch, oil and drive shaft. Now all I need to do is get gearbox off this weekend send it off then fit it next weekend so hopefully it will be ready to go.

Clio 172
OK well only got chance to look at this today. Popped the near side driveshaft off and circlip still sitting in its groove undamaged. So what's my problem? Hoping its clutch but don't want to remove box if I don't have to.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
clutch release bearing went on my saxo as i put foot up off clutch noise was there,clutches are cheap for the 172 i believe,whats up with the gearbox issue?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Depends how you do it but if you're dropping the subframe this is a rough guide.
E6044398-3B9F-4328-B214-01C45A9F363B_zpso3e7t0q4.jpg

Clio 182
You need to split the box from the engine to do the clutch, so yes all this bits need to come off first.
It's not a difficult job just long winded.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's only if you drop the subframe completely but I really think that's the easiest way from my experience and takes hardly any longer than just dropping one side of the frame. Each of those jobs is pretty easy :) A couple of us did a box and clutch change in just over a day recently which I'm sure people would say is slow but when you don't have air tools is very difficult to do faster.

I had this exact same problem not long after getting my 182, exact symptoms you are describing.
In the end once we got it jacked up and had a proper look it wasn't the box. It was the splined coupling that joins one of the drive shafts to the gearbox. New splined sleeve was about twenty quid, sorted it....

Clio 172
I had this exact same problem not long after getting my 182, exact symptoms you are describing.
In the end once we got it jacked up and had a proper look it wasn't the box. It was the splined coupling that joins one of the drive shafts to the gearbox. New splined sleeve was about twenty quid, sorted it....

Was that the offside shaft? I will have a look tomorrow.

Yeah it was the offside shaft. If you jack up that wheel and turn it you'll hear a strange clanking/ grinding noise and feel roughness.
Also if you pop it in first gear with the engine running with that wheel up in the air it may start to rotate as there is no resistance on it. But it will very easily be stopped and make the horrible noise.
I got my splined coupling off eBay. If it is that, get the driveshaft off, heat the coupling as hot as you dare them give it a good soaking before trying to remove it, mine took some force to get off.

Clio 172
Yeah it was the offside shaft. If you jack up that wheel and turn it you'll hear a strange clanking/ grinding noise and feel roughness.
Also if you pop it in first gear with the engine running with that wheel up in the air it may start to rotate as there is no resistance on it. But it will very easily be stopped and make the horrible noise.
I got my splined coupling off eBay. If it is that, get the driveshaft off, heat the coupling as hot as you dare them give it a good soaking before trying to remove it, mine took some force to get off.

Thank you, fingers crossed that's what it is. Well I'm tempted to get up early and get on it. Was the spline completely stripped?

I've been searching for the photo I took of it but can't find it anywhere sadly.
It wasn't completely stripped no, the teeth were extremely worn. Had all gone to almost a half moon shape rather then triangle if that makes sense.

Clio 172
I've been searching for the photo I took of it but can't find it anywhere sadly.
It wasn't completely stripped no, the teeth were extremely worn. Had all gone to almost a half moon shape rather then triangle if that makes sense.

I get what you mean. I'm guessing its been fine since? Was your car lowered?