ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not enough RONs

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Russ, I think you hit it on the head with "lazy"

The moral of the story being: Use good quality fuel, it pays out.

MPG's on 95 - 36 (taken from OBC) - 134.99 litre / 614.20 gallon / 17.06p per mile
MPG's on V-Power - 40 (taken from OBC) - 139.99 litre / 636.95 gallon / 15.92p per mile

Fuel prices taken at Greenford Shell this morn

RON's, they make good financial sense

wtf, v power is about 1.45p here, about 11p more per litre than super

I used Tesco Momentum

White clique
Completely different. Their STANDARD evo will run totally fine on 95RON. You modify it, you modify the map, it runs leaner than the VERY rich standard map - this brings on detonation, hence a 99RON fuel is required.

You can't compare a 400hp turbo-charged engine to a clio's standard N/A 2.0

Exactly!

From memory, the handbook for my 172 and 182 both said 97 recommeneded but not below 91 RON, and my 197 said both 95 and 98 RON in the filler flap.

My BMW recommends 95 RON and its a faster car, so i dont really see the link between faster cars needing higher RON other than manufactureres recommendations.

i still cant understand how you are trying to justify a lower RON fuel being as good/better.

In the RS sense renault recommend it, danny who knows more about engines than we ever will says its better... if you need to scrimp and save fair enough, if it somehow turns out 97/99 RON isnt any good then fair enough but for the piece of mind and thought i'm even giving the car as good as i can its a higher octane. hell i used to put it in my mums 1.3 ignis now and again to clean the thing out on long runs.

not trying to cause an argument but it is a no brainer for me.

White clique
Actually, just spotted this interesting post including a letter from Renault about the 197 RON recommendation:

"We would like to thank you for being one of the first to purchase a new Clio Renaultsport 197 and hope that you are enjoying it.

Since taking delivery of your car, we have unfortunately found an error in the technical detail in the handbook concerning fuel recommendation.

Please note that the recommended fuel for the new Clio Renaultsport 197 is Super Unleaded, either 97 RON or 98 RON but not 95 RON as shown in the handbook and as displayed on your fuel filler flap.

We would advise you to take the time to read the handbook for your new car as it contains lots of important details and will help you get the best out of your new Clio Renaultsport 197. Please pay particular attention to the running-in period. For the first 625 miles, it is strongly recommended that you should not exceed 3000 to 3500 rmp in any gear

If you have any queries, please contact our Customer Services Department on........."

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=125833

See. I told you higher octane was better.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Iv ran mine on 95 for about 6 months now, jsut to save those extra pennies.. I could tell the difference.. Il be back to 97/99 When I fork out for an R26

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
fyi, spoke to a tanker driver the other day and he said best fuel about is tesco momentum stuff :) he also said V-power is near enough the same.

Arctic Blue 182ff
Interesting, might explain why the 'slight' difference I notice is infact between my intermittent use of Tesco99 and V-Power. Currently on Tesco and it does have back it's 'edge'. I've got a coupon for Shell so will fill up with that next time.

If I'm honest, the only way I can tell, and it's a poor test at that but simple to execute, is the 5k 'surge' in 2nd gear. It's more noticeable with the Tesco stuff, I think, it feels more flat with other fuel, sometimes not really there at all...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
i still cant understand how you are trying to justify a lower RON fuel being as good/better.

In the RS sense renault recommend it, danny who knows more about engines than we ever will says its better... if you need to scrimp and save fair enough, if it somehow turns out 97/99 RON isnt any good then fair enough but for the piece of mind and thought i'm even giving the car as good as i can its a higher octane. hell i used to put it in my mums 1.3 ignis now and again to clean the thing out on long runs.

not trying to cause an argument but it is a no brainer for me.

Iirc Fred runs 95 on his supper cars etc so it can't be that bad ;-)

And do you really think that modern 95 is going to make your engine any less cleaner than the 99's ?

well in my case yes, the meg struggles to even start on 95... the clio is fine, but i can feel hesitation. fred used 95 because he's irish.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I have used 95 ron a couple of times when I needed fuel and wasn't near a station that sold super unleaded. The car does run much better on super unleaded and unbelievably seems to run better on Shell V power than supermarket super unleaded. I filled up at Sainsburys before going to Silverstone yesterday with their super unleaded and the car just didn't have that edge to it when I floored it to overtake. I topped up with BP super on the way back and it got its get up and go back. Some of the supermarket fuels don't have the additives that mainstream fuels have and that can make a big difference. Tesco super is one of the best supermarket fuels at the moment. I usually use V Power in the Clio and sometimes put in the Astra and even in that it feels better eventhough its a 1.6 8 valve automatic..
There's a particular stretch of road I regularly take to Northumberland from Penrith over the Hartside Pass to Alston and Hexham. A distance of 44 miles of superb climbing twisty tarmac that really tests a cars performance and brakes. Thats where you can really tell the difference between 95 ron and super unleaded. The172 runs hotter if I drive it really hard over that route on 95 ron and just feels poor when it gets pushed hard. Put Super in on the way back and difference is very noticeable.
The fuel flap on the 172 has a sticker recommending 98 ron or above. Its there for a reason.

Clio RS 182
fuk knows, never seen it and wouldn't pay that much a litre, although thats how much 95ron will be next year.

Ph2 Flamer
Following reading this yesterday I've just given Texaco Supreme with Techron a go (no shell garage by me to try v power). I've always filled up at Tesco up till now as it helps with the clubcard points and occasionally put the super unleaded in but can't say I'd noticed much difference

Anyway based on my daily commute which is mostly M4/A48m and a couple of miles of town driving at each end the car has been doing a steady 37mpg for several months.

This morning after sticking half a tank of what seemed pretty expensive Texaco Supreme with Techron at £1.39 for a litre the difference to the car is really noticeable. Firstly it runs much more smoothly, hard to explain exactly but smooth is the only word - feels less like a lumpy french engine. I'm not sure whether I can notice a better power delivery but I suppose the smoothness probably means the car doesn't feel like it's 'trying' so much.

The really big and indisputable difference though is I got 45mpg on the run in which is 7mpg better than with the Tesco 95RON on exactly the same route/traffic conditions. Have done some maths and even with the extra 7 or 8p a litre over the standard supermarket 95RON it works out more economical in terms of miles to the £ i.e. the increase is cost per litre is outweighed by the increase in mpg. Also if the above is correct about the ECU taking a while to learn the fuel that's being used, the performance in terms of mpg might even get a little better as it adjusts.

The only annoying thing is I can't find out what RON the Texaco stuff is, the techron additive is basically detergents for cleaning the engine so that isn't going to be responsible for better mpg. It's not on the pump and I can't find out on Google which is a little suspicious as I'm guessing it's going to be one of these 95ron fuels which has had toluene or biofuel added to it to get the RON up.

Might give this V-Power stuff a go next see what that does!