ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Now this IS scary!!

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum, and thought Id just give you all a little shock!! Yesterday, I placed an order for a Clio Extreme 1.2 16V in pearl black. No probs. there you say. But wait...its what Im part exchanging with. Im trading in my Mini Cooper (1 year old) for the 1.2 extreme!!?? In fact, that little 1.2 16V engine feels more lively at lower revs than the Mini! How IS that when the minis got a 1.6 engine??

Something else wierd... I test drove the extreme 1.4 thinking thisll be a good compromise...will have more power and be a more torquey engine than the 1.2, but no!! The 1.2 16V actually feels the more powerful car, even though its torque figures on paper are lower at lower revs!? What I want to know is (please!):

1. Do you think Im mad swapping the Mini for the Clio?

2. Why does the 1.2 Clio engine feel more enthusiastic than the 1.4?

3. Why is Pearl Black pearlescent? How would it differ from a standard black metallic?

4. Has anyone seen the colour Tempest? Its described as dark blue/grey, but my dealer has never heard of it!

Thanks everyone!

:)

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Silly question but why dont you swap it for the 1.6? It seems silly to me to go from a 1.6 mini down to a 1.2?

Yaris Hybrid

First and most obvious question, are you absolutely 100% sure it was a 1.2 16v you tested and not a 1.6?

You would love a DCI 80 at low revs, maybe you should have tried one? Equally you would not be at all impressed with a 182.

I went from a 1.2 16v to a Vectra SRI 150 2.2. The Veccy was a tad quicker than a Cooper. I had the Veccy for a while then briefly drove the 1.2 again when I sold it. God did that 1.2 seem slow, cant imagine you would be happy going back to it but if you have test driven the car and feel fine then fair enough.

I suppose I wanted to save money AND the extremes got £1000 off at the moment. I know its a compromise but I was so impressed with the 1.2 engine that Ive got no regrets. I just cant understand how such a little engine can seem so enthusiastic?

the smaller engine in the 1.2 spins up quicker, but the power will tail off quickly as well. Around town the 1.2 will feel quicker, but only at low revs!

Mini Cooper S sport

Yep, Id swap it for the 1.6 - the 1.2 may feel more lively, but it isnt once you go up up the gears! If its power youre looking for, why dont you trade in the Mini for a year-old 172? Especially if you can afford the insurance.

How come the trade-in value for the Mini is so little, I thought they kept their value really well? Id have a go at selling it privately first before giving it to a dealer.
Ah well, if the deals done already, enjoy your Clio - theyre nice-looking cars.

Yaris Hybrid

I am sure that Cooper could have been traded in for a brand new DCI and IMO they are more pokey than the 1.2 and do 70mpg easily so save money.

The 1.2 is a good engine though, I used to get 50mpg and sometimes 55mpg per tank by driving very carefully.

Fuel aint really the biggest cost though, depreciation is the greatest cost when getting a new car.

answers

1) yes- off your head

2) not a clue but i find it seems to have more of a kick than my 1.4 16v at higher revs, not lower down, it has no torque lower down, try going up a hill in a 1.2 then a 1.4

3) no idea

4) havent seen it..

hope this answers your questions ;)

welcome to cliosport by the way! :D dont trade the cooper in unless its for a 182.

I suppose Im doing a compromise here. Ive been looking to buy a cheap, new small car to replace the Mini. Everything else Ive tried falls short of the Clio 1.2 engine. I m only prepared to spend x amount of pounds this time. Sorry, Im also trying to sell the Mini privately - should have said. I still dont really understand why the 1.4 clio is less enthusiastic than the 1.2 though??

1.2 is carp on hills, but good at setting off from traffic lights, for a 1.2 anyway. Itll give many 1.4 8v cars a run for their money in the lowish speeds (0-60).

Youll get bored of the 1.2 when you see 172s, 182s etc cruise past you on motorways when youre thrashin the thing :oops: