ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NS Main Beam Problem - PH2 172

421 Cammed 172
Morning All,

My dipped beam xenon went last week and so today i went about changing it. But while the bumper was off i figured id swap the main H7 bulbs for some Osram night breakers.

Problem is after swapping the bulbs the H7 now doesnt work at all, no matter what bulb i put in.

Have i truly fucked it up or is it salvagable??

Any advice appreciated.

421 Cammed 172
:bump:

Automatic lights also not functioning now so would like to have this sorted soon!

No ideas anyone??

Ph2 172
So your dipped xenons are now working ok when switched on? are both main beams not working or just the one you removed?

421 Cammed 172
This problem still exisits.

To clarify, all other bulbs are working fine now, apart from the Main beam on the passenger side.

I removed the bulb to fit some Osram night breakers and now the bulb doesnt work at all.

I'll have to try a new headlight if needs be as its MOT time October 27th.

Any ideas anyone??

RS200
my ride also is a PH2 172

recently when my car go to dark place like car park, the dipped headlight will automatic go on. the light control is turned to position 0. no matter the car is back to sunny place, the light is still on.

i dont think i am using the automatic operation, so is it the light sensor got something wrong? how can i fix it?

also sometime the speedometer will not work, stay at the 0km/hr when the car is moving, how can i fix it?

421 Cammed 172
Never knew that Da.

Any ideas on where the fuses would be located?

I'll go take a peek in a min.

Hopefully that's all it is, although i'll be dead :eek: if it is after all this time! LMFAO

Da

Less
That's all it will be - I'm 99% certain. Don't go buying a new headlight as that wont help ;)

The fuses are in the little panel on the end of the dash where the passenger door meets it.

BMW M135i
Theres seperate fuses for dip and main beam both sides you have checked all 4 i'm guessing?

Infact check them all as I can't remember how/where the auto lights is fed from.

Da

Less
Yeah there's four fuses in total.

Also, did you test the fuses or just visually check them?

421 Cammed 172
Gutted :(

Where abouts are you?

I'm in Birmingham mate.

Theres seperate fuses for dip and main beam both sides you have checked all 4 i'm guessing?

Infact check them all as I can't remember how/where the auto lights is fed from.

Checked all 4 yeah. The auto lights are working now, They'd disengaged somehow when the H7 went.

I'll carry on fault finding then i think, unless there's any more advice??

421 Cammed 172
Yeah there's four fuses in total.

Also, did you test the fuses or just visually check them?

Just visually.

Haven't got a multimeter.

I'll swap them over tomorrow when it's light and if it works with a different fuse i'll stock up on Mini Blades.

Da

Less
Too far away then, shame.

Try swapping the fuses, from the side that works to the side that doesn't.

Also the relay is up under the passenger dash in the footwell. Long shot but they sometimes vibrate loose.

421 Cammed 172
Will check fuses tomorrow and repot back.

Will have a look for relay tomorrow too but depends on how dark it is as i've lost the charger for me torch :rolleyes: lol

Thanks for the help so far :D

BMW M135i
Well if you get stuck i'm not too far away. Doubt its the relay as you'd loose both sides not just one but its worth checking.

421 Cammed 172
Keep finishing work in the dark.

My day off's friday so if i don't get chance before then it'll probably be on that day.

Hopefully swapping the fuses will sort it :S

421 Cammed 172
Swapping fuses didn't work sadly :(

Doing my nut in now as my MOT is on October 27th and i'm sure it'll fail without it!

Theres a new one on eBay for £102, but don't fancy spending that if i'm honest!

Does the ballast only power the xenons?

Da

Less
Yeah the ballast doesn't affect the main beam at all.

My next guess would be a knackered bulb connector. Clutching at straws here, would be so much easier if you were closer ;)

421 Cammed 172
Any specific way to check the bulb connector mate?

Will probably get the bumper off tomorrow and take the headlight out for a look.

Da

Less
Do you have access to a voltmeter?

Just pull it up as far as you can out of the engine bay (I appreciate this wont be very far) and give it a once over, checking for loose connections and maybe corrosion.

Might be worth while spraying WD-40 or similar onto all the connections, putting it back together and seeing if it helps :)

421 Cammed 172
Is this the black cube that the bulb plugs into? :rolleyes: :eek:

God knows what i've done. I give up with it now!

I'll see if i can borrow the Mrs' Uncles voltmeter.

Da

Less
Yeah that's the thing I mean.

Have you tried a known working main beam bulb from the drivers side headlight?

421 Cammed 172
Tried the 2 Osrams Nightbreakers in it. The main beam bulb wasn't gone. I'm just a meddling bugger lol!

I'm writing all of this down so i can work my way through the list tomorrow lol

Thanks for your help so far!

Guess you're working for that solenoid after all :rasp: lol

421 Cammed 172
ok then.

Have been down in the car with an inspection lamp. are there 2 Relays? as in one for each side? There's a clicking when i pull the stalk back so if there's only one it's not that.

however, i've got a relay out on the front fog lights lol

next thing is the connector then. I dunno what it is if it's not that. it was workin one minute and not the next. hopefully it's cheap to repair tho!

is there anythin online anywhere with the relay outlay and rating/description anywhere?

Da

Less
Just the one relay as far as I know.

If you had a voltmeter you could check the connector and this would eliminate the relay if the connector is receiving power ok.

421 Cammed 172
Doneski.

Also managed to fix the foglights.

Poor design on the fogs, The wire that goes from the stalk into the controls at the centre of the steering wheel had snapped. Wired it all back up but don't know if it'll hold.

Not sure what sorted the headlights, had the entire front end off literally. Stripped everything off, cleaned all connections and then put back together.

Disconnected entire fog loom and cleaned connections then put back together and wrapped with electrical tape. Hopefully the end of my light problems.

Thanks for all your help Da :D