ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NSX Update

Turbos.
So a few have been asking about the NSX. Having raced it in Donington, it was clear a lot more testing would be needed; the brakes were wooden, the car gave little feedback and the power steering wasn't reliable. It also had a huge amount of bumpsteer, which made correction of oversteer really hard work.

Rather than waste time, we got a pro in the car to sort it out together with the race team at various circuits. I got a quick go at Donington a couple of weekends back, but a broken alternator only gave only a tantalising glimpse of the improvements.

So the good news was that, heading to Snetterton, i knew the car was much better. It had a new master cylinder for the brakes, softer springs, different geometry and a few suspension components. I knew it wouldn't be like the Elise, but then it isn't one!

Anyway, arrived at Snetterton on Friday to find we bagged the scrutineering bay (it has a lounge with TV!). The car was being warmed up and it sounds immense now some packing has blown out of the exhaust!

P1080738.jpg

P1080734.jpg

P1080739.jpg

As my dad hadn't been out in the car, i jumped in for the first session to see what it was like, and get it all warmed up for him. Unfortunately, i was back a lap later as i had yellow lights flashing for the gearbox. Presumed it was lacking charge again (since i'd experienced the alternator issue beforehand). Guys had no idea what it was though, so went out again and did more 1 lap stints by coming in and turning it off and on to reset the gearbox actuator!

P1080772.jpg

Plugging in the laptop, the actuator was overheating, despite being moved to the passenger floor rather than in the boot (near the engine). The boys played around a bit so my dad would have a better session.

P1080757.jpg

P1080753.jpg

P1080749.jpg

P1080755.jpg

Just as the session was going to start, we got a thunderstorm! Cue tyre change...

P1080769.jpg

P1080771.jpg

P1080770.jpg

Those Dunlops cost more than the wheels, eek!

So my dad went out, but unfortunately nothing had changed. Other than it had dried out and he had shagged the wets in about 20 minute of driving...lol.

I went out again next, accepting the problem. We could actually just turn the ignition off and on whilst on the move. The reason it would overheat is that it would switch off down the long straights (because it didn't have to change gear), and then suddenly wake up for another gearchange. When shutting down, it needs time to cool down, but it didn't get the chance, and so the issues. By randomly changing gear everywhere, i kept the actuator 'awake' and got round the problem with a mere one restart a lap. If anything, it was good practice, you don't always get a perfect car mid-way through a 24hr race after all!

My dad went out again, and was much more confident in the dry. In fact, he equalled the times of the Pro in the car, demonstrating that the mods had worked well. And that was with restarting the car mid-lap...

My dad being my dad though, went off at the chicane!

P1080774.jpg

P1080773.jpg

We then let our mate have the last session, where i got a couple of crappy pics on track.

P1080781.jpg

P1080780.jpg

P1080782.jpg

P1080783.jpg

After initial frustrations then, we actually got a fair bit of time in the car and i'm pleased with the potential she's showing. We plan to race it in a long race at Brands near the end of the season now.

P1080766.jpg

P1080763.jpg

P1080768.jpg

Turbos.
Didn't notice the Senna board, nice spot!

Thanks guys, thought the photos were pretty rubbish. Really want an SLR.

53 Clio's & counting
Looks stunning Rob - silly question but how different is it than the Elise? Both being very low, very stiff and mid engined?

Is it like a bigger, slightly heavier more powerful version?

Turbos.
Not sure if you could handle it mate... ;)

Forgot to mention that, if you look closely, the spoiler now has a tiny gurney spoiler on it held on by tank tape. Transformed the handling and stopped graining of the rear tyres; amazing what a little mod can do!

Turbos.
Looks stunning Rob - silly question but how different is it than the Elise? Both being very low, very stiff and mid engined?

Is it like a bigger, slightly heavier more powerful version?

Well, it is heavier which has a knock on effect for everything. You don't get as much feel but being a longer wheel base it is much more stable and has much more grip through longer corners. It feels a little weird not sitting in the middle now, where everything pivoted around you. In the NSX you feel the car roll, and it doesn't help that the engine is on the right-hand side too. It has extreme corner weights, whereas the Elise has perfect distribution.

The Elise shakes and will burst your eardrums without ear plugs, it is a visceral feeling car, like an extension to your body. The NSX is more refined, less engaging but has tons of grip and requires less work.

So to answer your question, they feel nothing alike lol. In fairness, the Elise has been honed over years, the NSX still has a way to go... i would love it to feel like a 'Big Elise' but probably because i'm a pussy and scared of change ;)

Lotus Elise
We are in the planning process of next years 24 hour race. Going for a Clio Cup car and 3 drivers, or a AM V8 N400 and 4 drivers.

Tuckers keeps ringing my Dad and I asking when we will be back racing with him. LOL

53 Clio's & counting
Well, it is heavier which has a knock on effect for everything. You don't get as much feel but being a longer wheel base it is much more stable and has much more grip through longer corners. It feels a little weird not sitting in the middle now, where everything pivoted around you. In the NSX you feel the car roll, and it doesn't help that the engine is on the right-hand side too. It has extreme corner weights, whereas the Elise has perfect distribution.

The Elise shakes and will burst your eardrums without ear plugs, it is a visceral feeling car, like an extension to your body. The NSX is more refined, less engaging but has tons of grip and requires less work.

So to answer your question, they feel nothing alike lol. In fairness, the Elise has been honed over years, the NSX still has a way to go... i would love it to feel like a 'Big Elise' but probably because i'm a pussy and scared of change ;)

Cheers dude, interesting read :)

Turbos.
Thanks Kieran!

We are in the planning process of next years 24 hour race. Going for a Clio Cup car and 3 drivers, or a AM V8 N400 and 4 drivers.

Tuckers keeps ringing my Dad and I asking when we will be back racing with him. LOL

Tucker is mental, but TBF he puts the hours in, he rings everyone endlessly!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i kind of want to be you....

but i wanna know what you are doing to the wide arch one! that interests me more lol!

Turbos.
So things haven't been going that well reliability wise, as usual, but here are some cool photos Nick took at the weekend during testing. Note the grey lights - NSX-R lights are discontinued, but i will find a replacement!

BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2583.jpg

BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2617.jpg

BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2376.jpg

BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2685.jpg

BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2556.jpg

Turbos.
The Lotus runs it close TBH! We weren't the only ones that had issues, but it doesn't make it a pill easier to swallow ...