ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

O/S Front Suspension Knock when setting off and stopping

Sunflower Ph1 172
as above really.

When setting off and stopping I get a single knock. It feels like perhaps a bush that has gone. it is coming from the O/S (drivers) side, and looks like the wheel is visibly moving backwards in the arch when stopping at low speed.

I also find that the pulls a little to the left (while the steering wheel feels like it wants to turn right) when braking. It only does it for a moment, and isn't aggressive. I think this problem could be down to the tracking being out though.

I'm just wondering whether there is a common part/bush that fails that causes this problem. I have been told that the car has had 2 new ball joints very recently.

I'm fitting coilovers in the next week or so, and I'd like ot sort this out at the same time. It's likely I'll find the problem, but just wondering whether anyone has diagnosed the problem previously.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Bottom ball joint!!!

Mine did exactly this when i fitted the one for the sport. couldnt move it by hand but as soon as i set off it moved horrificly. same when i stopped, you could see the whole wheel move back towards the back of the car.

If they have been replaced recently make sure they are the 12mm (i think thats what the sports take) and make sure they are tight :)

Sunflower Ph1 172
Bottom ball joint!!!

Mine did exactly this when i fitted the one for the sport. couldnt move it by hand but as soon as i set off it moved horrificly. same when i stopped, you could see the whole wheel move back towards the back of the car.

If they have been replaced recently make sure they are the 12mm (i think thats what the sports take) and make sure they are tight :)

cheers, ball joints are a nice cheap fix, so fingers crossed. it only started doing it (noticably) in the past day or so. it's just a little irritating. Also, I worry that accelerating with the wheel out of line will wear the CV joint.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rhys is rather correct, I had the exact same symptoms. Likely someone has fitted 10mm balljoints as they are listed as a part (but are 2mm too small)

You can stop the knock for a day or three just by getting under it and doing up the bolts that connect it to the wishbone tighter, they will have worked loose.

Sunflower Ph1 172
If it is the bolts on the ball joint then the bolts could technically just snap. so id be pretty careful lol.

Rhys is rather correct, I had the exact same symptoms. Likely someone has fitted 10mm balljoints as they are listed as a part (but are 2mm too small)

You can stop the knock for a day or three just by getting under it and doing up the bolts that connect it to the wishbone tighter, they will have worked loose.

If you are getting the parts go to GSF. i went to ECP and i asked for the correct part and was given the wrong one. bar stewards.

Will do. I'll jack it up when I get home and take a look. Fingers crossed it's just something simple. I can replace them when the coilovers arrive. Cheers guys.

Sunflower Ph1 172
you were right... the O/S ball joint bolts were nearly loose enough to turn by hand. Seems sorted now, but will be sticking fresh nuts on them at the weekend to be sure they don't come loose again any time soon.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
you were right... the O/S ball joint bolts were nearly loose enough to turn by hand. Seems sorted now, but will be sticking fresh nuts on them at the weekend to be sure they don't come loose again any time soon.
I would replace them for piece of mind with the correct bolt hole size ones. or just take them off and check them.

Better safe than sorry.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator

Wrong.

Basically, in a short while, could be a week, could be a day, the balljoints will work loose again....

The hole in your current balljoint is 10mm, so is the bolt. The hole in your clio is 12mm, see the potential for movement no matter what bolts you buy? Because your balljoints don't have big enough holes to fit big enough bolts in.

Buy two new balljoints and be sorted/have piece of mind for a long time.