ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OBD2 on Clio MK2

Clio
Has anyone managed to get OBD2 working on a Clio mark 2?

I have tried two different types of reader so far and can't get either to work!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What have you tried? Sounds like your car is the issue rather than the hardware you're trying to connect

Clio
I have tried an AL319 from Autel and an old Elm clone connected to a laptop.

Autel have been very good, even answering my email on a Sunday! They are looking into it so maybe I just have old stock without all the protocols loaded?

The Elm, well, I can understand that not being compatible because it was very cheap and it's obviously a clone.

Both work fine on the Berlingo, though so maybe there is something wrong with the OBD port on the car. Are there are stock faults that are known? Fuses?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nope, the port is powered via the accessory fuse so if the radio is working the port should have power.

Clio
I'll post what I have discovered and maybe it'll help anyone searching the forum in futire for the same problem:

Petrol cars post 2001 all have to be fitted with an OBDII compliant connector by law. Any OBDII code reader should work with any car from 2001.

Some cars before 2001 were fitted with OBDII compliant connectors. However, some were fitted with an identical connector but run an incompatible protocol! Tus a standard OBDII code reader will not work! (This applies to early Clios and probably other Renaults of a similar age)

So..if your car was made before 2001 but has an OBDII connector it won't necessarily work! I can confirm the AL-319 doesn't work on the 1998 1.2 8v Clio but the Autel MD704 does, as does the fancy box of tricks that the local garage has.