ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd misfire

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Getting a strange misfire. Only happens when the cars very hot (most noticeable on track) and only under hard acceleration. Changed the plugs and leads, just ordered a coil-pack. Hopefully that'll sort it, but any other suggestions just in case?

Cheers
Warren

M

mini-valver

Maybe coolant temp sensor but thats probably a long shot. Coilpack would be my first port of call TBH, then code read it if that doesn't solve it....

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Right, leads, plugs and coil replaced. Still misfiring. Only intermittent, drove 2 hrs today without problem, then it started playing up again. Does the rs tuner function as a code reader?

ValverInBits
possibly a load sensor, MAP would be my first thought.

I could be way off the mark, but heres my thinking anyway..... Missfire perhaps caused by lean mixture, hence load sensor, MAPs can be effected at high temperature dependant on type?

Edit: and RS tuner will read a fault if it's registering a fault.

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
Sticking injector ?

Piston rings ?

Maybe even some witchcraft with the alternator.

Check the injector seals on the injectors too.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ok, done so far:
-New spark plugs
-New leads
-New MAP sensor
-New coil pack
-Cleaned earth points (except the one on the back of the gearbox, will do tomorrow)
-Changed all injectors
-Had code reader on, no faults registering

Still f**king misfiring! Happens when cold and hot. Changed the coil pack today, drove it hard all the way home. Faultless until I was nearly home, then misfired again.

Changing Lambda tomorrow, just in case. WTF else could be causing it?

lift number 1 @ btm
after all that, i'd be inclined to wonder if it could be a wiring fault somewhere.
has the ecu ever been disconnected?

you are welcome to borrow any of the parts from my car if you want, could save you buying more bits that you don't need.

(although, borrow is the operative word ;))

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
after all that, i'd be inclined to wonder if it could be a wiring fault somewhere.
has the ecu ever been disconnected?

you are welcome to borrow any of the parts from my car if you want, could save you buying more bits that you don't need.

(although, borrow is the operative word ;))
Not that I know of. Was running like a peach, until the exhaust dropped out of it's mount at Oulton on the RS day.

Thanks for the offer. I'll most likely borrow the suspension and the new engine;)

lift number 1 @ btm
Brown Bear; Thanks for the offer. I'll most likely borrow the suspension and the new engine;)[/quote said:
you need to fix the missfire first :rasp:

i had a similar thing where the clip for the cable to the tb was damaged, but that won't apply to you.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Damaged Lambda wires?
That's what I wondered. Hopefully the sensor side, not the loom side!
I'll find out tomorrow if that's the issue, if not I'll need to borrow a can of fuel, and some matches.

ITB'd MK1
put it back on diagnostics and look at the mVolt readings for the lambda. pre-cat should cycle between 0 and 1000 (give or take, in reality is'a about 40-900) if it's not cycling, or not going full range the sensor is suspect. Wont normally pick up a code for that either

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Looks like it's sorted. Lambda sensor changed, seems to have sorted the problem.

172 Race Car
Good work. was it damaged at all? any evidance of the sensor hitting anything when the exhuast dropped?

Posted your stuff today BTW

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The sensor looked reet, but the clip where it joins the loom is fucked, so there's obv been some trauma. Over 300miles done in last 24hrs, hasn't missed a beat.

Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Need a new loom plug? I've got one you can have

Like most of my car, it's being held together with electrical tape. Such a prick of a lead to reach, think I'll leave it until it go's tbh. Cheers for the offer though fella!