ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odd sound problem (iPhone)

Phone was working fine in the morning, however now it doesn't want to play anysound. iPod/messaging/YouTube don't work aswell as calls. However if i play a ringtone it works. When i press the volume button - the action on screen shows up - but there is no actual volume bar on the screen.

Any idea? New phone time?

Clio 172
Is there a volume bar when you have the music app open? You tried a hard reset? (hold down home button and lock button, and keep holding until it turns it self off, don't "swipe to power off", just hold till it restarts)

Do you use a dock to play music through? It seems it's quite a big bug with the latest OS, have you update recently?

Try plugging, unplugging head phones, connecting to a dock, hard reset, calling it, sending an email to it, texting it etc, playing a game. It's a software bug

Last edited:
  Clio 172
I updated my post above ^^^^^

It's a bug, nothing wrong with your phone :) try the fixes i put at the end of my post. It's just trying to coax it into working again. From what iv read not a lot seems to be fixing it I'm afraid

Bus w**ker
conneh, hard reset and if that doesn't work restore. If that doesn't work then I'd Genius Bar it.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but should sound come from both speaker on the bottom on a 3GS?

Nope. Just the left one.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
conneh, hard reset and if that doesn't work restore. If that doesn't work then I'd Genius Bar it.

Nope. Just the left one.

There's not much reason to take it to a Genius Bar. A lot of people on the apple forum this and the "geniuses" shouted water damage, even though it's a well documented software bug since 5.1

Clio 172
So just put up with it then, good plan.

Didn't mean it like that... I just didn't think they would replace it as its quite a known bug from what I have read! Also, a lot of the people said geniuses just said thr phone is water damaged therefore will charge for repair!

If apple are aware, I can't see them replacing it if it could happen with the next one u get? As its iOS related. The methods to get it worked in my last post are an array of what I have read that works

Bus w**ker
Apple will replace free of charge if the unit is at fault and in warranty, if the water damage indicators have gone red...well then it's got water damage and you'd be s**t out of luck lol - the Geniuses have no reason to lie about that and will show you that they've changed colour. If it's a bug in iOS I'd expect far more than just one user on CS to have come across the problem, due to the number of iPhone users on here, and I'd fully expect a full restore as a new device with a backup dumped over the top to sort it out.

Apple are aware that the home button on the 4 is problematic and were happily swapping them out, even for 4S' when supplies of the 4s ran low. Obviously now though the 4 is out of warranty so you'd have to pay £119 for a replacement.

Oh an conneh, you've not flicked the silent switch have you? Just as an after thought.

Clio 172
I know where your coming from, but it's something do with using docks, the phone thinks its still docked, hence why it's making the volume bar disappear. I googled it, and it came up on the apple forum with loads of people suffering.

Didn't think about the water indicators haha. But the fact the volume bar has gone does seem to suggest that's

For some reason; a lot of people on ye apple forum have reset etc etc and the problem hasnt gone.

I know nothing though, literally saying what I have read!

Popped into the apple store earlier, man gave it a look over and a clean out. Said there was a tiny but of damage, but nothing major and it hadn't worked it's way into the phone after inspecting it. So he swapped it out for me.

Sorted.

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
mine done this last week when i was away and also would only play music through headphones for about 15 seconds then stop seems ok now