ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OE Shocks/Springs

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
Hi All, looking for some advice.

TL:DR : need new struts and coils, i think. I've measured the distance between holes and I am 85% confident I need the 54mm spaced struts and new coils. I've found an ebay item:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-P...851404?hash=item3f5cae120c:g:9JgAAOSw9N1ViouD

are the 172 Cup shocks the same as what would have been fitted to my 172 or are there non cup available? what's the difference?
what springs do i need? my budget is pretty low so any recommendations would be great.

Long Story:

have come back to doing some stuff on my 2002 172 project and the next thing to tackle was the suspension. reason I've decided to check out the suspension was because I changed the lower ball joints last summer and the N/S was easy mode to attach back to the wishbone but the O/S was an absolute ball-ache and took about 30 mins of jacking up the brake disk in the 100% correct angle to align up the lbj bolt holes correctly with the wishbone, this also meant that the CV boot was rubbing on the wishbone and split.

I've taken the suspension struts out of the car, N/S again was easy mode. the bolts came straight out but O/S took me about an hour of wacking it with a lump hammer, tried spring compressors which didn't help and I've compared both sides and was surprised. the O/S ,pictured on the left was much smaller then the N/S. didn't look like the spring has snapped just different tensions, can't imagine how it drove.

I still have no idea really why the bolts were so difficult on the O/S because the spring was smaller and they were compressed with spring compressor. only thing i can think it the shock absorber was pushing out further then it should. both front axles were off the ground so it wasn't the ARB. ideas?

IMG-20160429-WA0009.jpeg

182cup & 172 racecar
You need to show the paint code on the springs ie, blue and white, red and white etc.

Plus you don't need spring compressors to get these out.

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
didn't use spring compressors on N/S, was trying anything on O/S as it was ridiculous how much i was hitting the bolt to get it out. need new nuts for them also :)

there were 2 whites dots on the smaller spring but nothing on the bigger one, this is why i'm here because i have no idea what the correct spring is to order.

182cup & 172 racecar
The one on the right has been changed before, it's some shitty thing from GSF or similar. You might be better off getting some Apex or Cooksport springs for it.

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
awesome, what's the difference between the 182 and 172 shocks for the front? I'm guessing the cup shocks are just a bit stiffer?

182 arctic
just fitted new cooksport springs and cup shocks on my 172 ph2 .. details in my project thread.. straightforward enough... satisfying job...

Ex 182 owner
Front wise you basically have
54mm 172 non cup and 182 non cup
54mm 172 cup
60mm 182 cup
With the cup variants being a bit stiffer to match the spring rates. Most go for the cup in 54mm or 60mm as apart from oem non cup springs.. your likely to be fitting stiffer/lower springs.

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
cheers everyone, cleared some things up. have order 172 cup shocks and new springs.

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
get an error clicking link, I'm guessing you have to be a member? I've bought springs and shocks now already but thanks for the offer.