ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OEM+ alternative to the standard satnav (pics inside)

Clio 197
After coming across a video on youtube of a company that incorporates ipads/tablets into dashes, I thought why not try and implement something similar for the Clio. Once I had purchased the satnav housing I began my research. After looking at the dimensions of tablets, I came to the conclusion that to make them fit, far too many modifications would need to be done to the housing and it was beyond my skill level.

So I started looking at Android phones and came across the LG G3. Now i'm pretty sure this phone was made solely for this project! It was a perfect fit width wise when placed horizontally and also has a feature to lock/unlock the phone by double tapping on the screen, eliminating the need for access to the buttons (which are on the back of the phone anyway). So I had a tray for the phone designed by @Louis' which was near on perfect despite the fact he didn't have physical access to the phone for measurements. Just want to say a huge thanks to @Louis' for all his help, it was very much appreciated mate!

So after a few weeks of work (mostly an hour here and there on the occasional weekend) I finally finished it this morning. Now it's not a looker, but DIY is not one of my best skills, so I'm happy with what i've managed to make. I can make a how-to if members are interested as i've taken many photos along the way.

Comments and criticisms are welcome as always :) (and apologies for the wonky pics!)

B0CB1D96-54F0-4490-A527-EE4792E68FF6_zpstgc0zcov.gif

D8AAAFA2-86F3-4B9C-B8BC-AF84069E204A_zpsvwyhgm67.gif

E3FAEB2F-7D25-4362-96BD-0F8F0C0E471B_zpslbv68miy.gif

0650A9B9-DB64-4692-8FDB-230F1D591EE4_zpshllqz7rp.gif

05243B08-889C-4C52-9178-E14841980E0A_zpst1idl5pa.gif

200FDA43-9A72-47F6-AA70-62055FD949FD_zpsyfywwlqq.gif

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
That's pretty ace!

Do you need to touch it for it to work or can you control music and stuff through the steering controls/radio?

By all means knock a how to up. I'd like a read

Clio 197
That's pretty ace!

Do you need to touch it for it to work or can you control music and stuff through the steering controls/radio?

By all means knock a how to up. I'd like a read
Cheers mate :) I've actually done away with the satnav itself, so it's just an Android smartphone that attaches to the velcro on the tray. I've left the standard headunit in so that'll still work with the steering wheel controls. The speaker is loud enough on the phone but I reckon it's possible to use it as an input sound wise through the back of the headunit.