ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OEM radio problem

525 E34, Alfa 156, Clio
Hi,

While the radio/cassette works fine in the 1999 Clio RT I've just picked up, the display on the dash is intermittent (I've only seen it work once, usually only the clock is visible).

Also, the steering column radio controls don't work. The person who I bought it off says it's always been like this. In her experience, when one worked the other usually did, and the problem seemed to be temperature-related. If it was too hot or too cold would exhibit the fault.

Is this a common fault, and is there a known cure for it? I was going to pull the radio out and check for loose connections as my first port of call. I have the radio code ;)

Cheers,

Iain

525 E34, Alfa 156, Clio
Yeah, it's an original Renault radio... I suspect something's not plugged in quite right!

525 E34, Alfa 156, Clio
It seems to be a fault at the display, not the radio. Pushing the display gently make it all start working again.

It looks like quite an involved job to get the display out though, so I might just live with it!

182FF with cup packs
The display and the control stalk are intertwined. IIRC the connection goes Head unit -> Display -> Stalk, so if the connection from the head unit to the display is b0rked, then the stalk won't work either.

The clock is separate from the radio display, hence if you replace the standard head unit, you only get the clock showing and the stalk doesn't work.

It just sounds like you have a loose plug that becomes worse due to thermal expansion when hot or cold. You'll probably have to take the dash off to fiddle though.