ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Off Topic Race Series Opinions

Clio Cup
Feel Free To move if needed

Ive been looking at various race series - i prefer one make stuff as its mainly down to talent , or lack thereof
I dont want to do the Clios because i cant get along with Ktec - i dont know why im just not keen on the ethos

Anyway , costings aside , which would you look towards

Civic cup - EP3 or FN2 , Limited slip diffs , nankang NS2R tyres - coil overs - 220bhp-ish
Mk5 Golf gti - Coil overs , standard brakes , dsg or manual , toyo 888s - 240BHP
Super cooper Cup - R53 Mini Cooper s , big brakes , LSD , 220BHP , Coil overs

I figure the initial purchase cost og the golf will be more , but prep will be a little less , Civic will be cheaper to Run tyres and NA , Cooper has a huge following anyway

Just after some views

Superninj

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup & E46 M3
I'm looking to race my Clio next year, I sort of understand why your not keen on the Ktec 182 series. Form what I've seen there is tricolore throphy, tin tops, trackattacks hill climbs etc

Why do you think a Golf or Civic would be cheaper? I think from the list of mods above you would be looking at the same money being pumped in to Clio also.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Civic cup, EP3 a pretty much bullet proof when relatively standard. Will get to spend more money on racing and test days as the car wont be braking all the time. EP3 is the most drive orientated car out of all of them.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
You did say about the Golf series when I last saw you Stu, but now you mention it - the Civic cup sounds good like it'd be a good craic. Seems a pretty solid engine/chassis combination.

OT but you still going to Oulton next month pal?

Clio Cup
You did say about the Golf series when I last saw you Stu, but now you mention it - the Civic cup sounds good like it'd be a good craic. Seems a pretty solid engine/chassis combination.

OT but you still going to Oulton next month pal?

The golfs Even Damaged ones from Co part fetch STRONG Money - one went through last week wirh 320,000 Miles on it and still sold for 2.5k , Civics can be had for 700-800 quid

Yeah ill be coming up mate - Not with the Clio though , Booked the 'Ring on the 10th of september so thought i best save some cash

Clio Cup
I'm looking to race my Clio next year, I sort of understand why your not keen on the Ktec 182 series. Form what I've seen there is tricolore throphy, tin tops, trackattacks hill climbs etc

Why do you think a Golf or Civic would be cheaper? I think from the list of mods above you would be looking at the same money being pumped in to Clio also.

I Kind of want to want the tightly controlled regulations of one make stuff , everything supposedly very equal , i know the class system in tricola is meant to do this but whatever the reason i like the idea of going door handle to door handle with a virtually identical car

Superninj

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup & E46 M3
That's fair enough reading your original post has got me thinking questioning my own ideas, civic cup looks very interesting with a good chassis and power output. I think the golf series would be expensive in that the mk5s are a cool car but not a cheap base line. I have some reservations with the Clio myself as it is difficult to get a true cost of having a competive Clio. Guess it depends on budget if you want to drop 10k on a civic then the civic cup sounds like it would suite or mod your Clio more gradually on a steady budget making a car like burpspeed, which is what my plan is....

Clio Cup
MaX5 series?
Cheap. Loads of entries. Fixed spec series.
Proper drivetrain

I have had a look at this and the newer MX5 - AND the Compact Cup which has MASSIVE grids

But and you can flame me all you like , i find FWD as rewarding to drive properly as a RWD car

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Porsche 924 is another inexpensive spec race series, using very well balanced cars; and its all about driver handling finesse.. 924's are still cheap to buy

Clio Cup
ha ha Cheers @Goodj - No you dont , the Mk2 golfs have big grids , the Mk5s are new this season so hopefully theyll grow similarly
Civics is growing all the time - Not sure about the Cooper S
@Tony Hunter - Thats very much my thinking , Clio has served its purpose , always been into my motorsport in a massive way , ive been going Oulton since i was 5 some 27 years ago , but its definetly time to compete.

olly-r

ClioSport Club Member
  clio
i do the odd round of the msv trackday trophy 45minute races and 1 hour all comer races, bit of fun

Clio Cup
Essentially nothing - Close one make series with tightly controlled reg
But ill be fucked if im handing over money to KTEC for parts or them to put a map on a car i own.......Personal belief.

182cup & 172 racecar
Lol, a lot slower.
Class A anything goes, itbs, suspension free, light weight panels, any ecu etc etc.
Just no turbos or supercharging.
Production Class. Ren suspension, springs free, standard ecu, keep dash, camber bolts are allowed.
Basically a production car with a saftey cut off switch and fire ex

182 x 6 & Mk4 200
Hows that?

On another thread a guy who raced at Cadwell on the 18th was lapping at avg 1.50 best of 1.49 in Tricolore and yet the KTEC Clios the month before all 24 cars lapped quicker than 1.49 and the best being a 1.44 !
So 5 seconds a lap is quite a bit slower !!!!!
Hence the question what's the difference in spec/regs of both series

911 GT3, 320i, M3
I'm in my 4th year of doing the Production BMW championship in a E30 320i, great series very competitive but still has a friendly paddock, good value in terms of running cost and entry fees with policed driving standards to try and stop lots of panel damage.

We also get to race on some great circuits, this year we're at Brands GP and Indy, Donnington GP, Silverstone GP supporting the 24 hour race, snetterton 300 and Combe.

I'd love to go racing but it seems so expensive. Do snetterton do any kind of circuit races? Bit like how castle combe have castle combe saloons?