ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f)

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
My 172 Cup Failed MOT today :

Anyone have a guide on to how to change this thing, i searched but there just lots of junk some people saying its easy etc.. i want a decent guide or set of instructions

Offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) **DANGEROUS**

ValverInBits
It's the ball joint on the end of the track rod (the steering Rack). To remove the ball joint from the hub undo the litte securing nut then using a tap hammer give the hub a sharp tap. The ball joint has a taper on it so it slots into the hub dead tight. A sharp horizontal tap will release it.
If it's anything like the MK1s you can undo the little securing nut where the ball joint goes into the rack and then screw it out the rack. This will be the hard bit. Depending on the age/condition/rust down there, it's gonna be fairly jammed in. But if you can't get it out heating it with a blow torch then everything is still very easy to put back from there and a garage wouldnt charge you much for the job.
Parts are cheap.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
sounds ok, not sure what you mean but it attatches to the hub, anyone got some photos, of what i need to unbolt and take to renault to get the correct part, as teh renault guy said there is 2 versions

ValverInBits
The Hub is the very Heavy Casted bit that is directly behind the wheel. It has the driveshaft going right through it. It has the bearing into it. The susension stut is clamped in the top of it, the wishbone is in the bottom of it. it is "the HUB"

ValverInBits
Found this on some french web site
http://www.forum-auto.com/uploads/200602/ultranovice_1138842027_blocage_rotule.jpg

Hes got the mole grips around the ball joint (the black rubber bit protects it)
Notice it's connected into the hub and the securing nut is only just on there.
You'd need to tap the hub at a horizontal angle just above the rubber bit.
If you look back up the component then you see how the ball joint connects to the track rod.
There is a little securing bolt poking off the track rod loosen that then screw the ball joint out using a spanner

BMW M135i
They were about £7 from a local factors when I changed them on the 1.6, I imagine renault want silly money for them?

The car will possibly need tracking afterwards depending how careful you are.

ValverInBits
yeah, It will need tracking
Just get your parts from eurocar parts or somewhere. No need to bother with reno

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
ok thanks i can undo the bolt next to the hub (the ball joint) , how do i get the bit off thats on the arm ? (the shiny black bit in my photo) It feels stuck solid, i tried turning that nut thats the other (where the thread is showing on the right hand side) but it wont budge and my spanner slips off and i dont' want to thread it ? or does the whole long arm bit come out ?

n674888184_532869_6604.jpg

n674888184_533013_5546.jpg

n674888184_533015_6108.jpg

Last edited:
  Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
i am assuming this is would be the failed ball joint (well the one of the other side but i took this wheel of as it was easier for me to see how to change them) , as this mot thing isn't very clear "track rod end ball joint has excessive play" reading some otehr posts, i see there may be a second ball joint inside the gaiter at the other end ? could this be the worn one, which one is worn WTF ?

ValverInBits
Offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) - is what you said.
Offiside is always the side furthest from the curb - meaning drivers side
Near side is curb side - passenger side

By the looks of that you are defo attacking it right. The spanner does go on the track rod, and the other spanner does go on the ball joint.

I tried to attack one of these myself once and ended up giving up. I was told buy someone on this forum that i would need to:
"
blow torch/gas lamp, can get them from B&Q etc under a tenner, get propane gas, make the trackrod red (literally) and turn with some mole grips, turns with ease then."

I would have thought that would expand the track rod = bad
personally i would heat the bit of the ball joint painted black in your photo

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Yes i know my o/s and n/s thats why i put "(well the one of the other side but i took this wheel of as it was easier for me to see how to change them) "

Anyways i have managed to undo the Nut on the arm, (pointed at by photo below) but i cannot pull the shiny black part off, i don't want to stick a blow torch down there due to the plastic wings and the gaiters etc.. I am assumint this bit should just pull off ? as the nut determines the tracking right ?

How about if i leave it with a loose nut (the nut below) tighten the ball joint back up then just drive the car around my road a bit doign lots of hard turnning to pull the thing loose ?

n674888184_533013_5546.jpg

ValverInBits
yeah, you need to stop that by turning one or the other to screw the joint out of the track rod arm

BMW M135i
Try to not move the nut too much so you can get a rough idea of tracking back again when you screw it back on.

Blowtorch may be necessary but i'd soak it in some penerating/releasing oil first.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
Thanks for the help guys
shite yeah that was easy the thing just turns off. So is this the only ball joint on these 172's ? that causes this MOT fail ? "Offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) "

i have been told for the last 2 years that they both are worn a bit, and don't want to go replacing just these if there is other parts i should replace.

The car did only fail on one, but as they have been telling me for years that they are both worn, i want to get them both fixed, but dont want to replace the wrong part

n674888184_533248_9267.jpg

Last edited:
  ValverInBits
mark, that's the wrong ball joint.
This guy needs his track rod end replaced not the wishbone ball joint. Good lil doc tho

ValverInBits
if you wanna do both. do both. I would, they are only cheap. Make sure you get it proffessionally tracked once your done.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
So i will take this one to renault tomorrow and order one for each side, the guy said there are 2 different versions, thats why i wanted to take one off to bring in and make sure they order the correct ones (thats why i took the n/s off, as its easier to do in my garage)

as i have a free MOT retest within 10 days

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
I don't care which side, i removed one now, i am changing both and the near side is easier to do in my garage, lol, :) Thanks :) feel free to use my photos to make a nice easy guide.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
took the other side of 15min job (including removing the wheel and jacking the car up). Easy job once you know what to do. thanks for the help Point8

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
I have fitted the new rod ends, and had alighment re-done. What torque setting should i have done the track end ball joint nut up to ?