ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ohhhh noooo

182 FF (Black Gold)
On my way to the coast on Friday night when I was on the M(Something) towards Newark and bang an almighty thump underneeth my car, I can only persume I hit something? Anyway the car was sound doing 50MPH in the average spec cameras, got to the slip road to come off and I notice a bit of rubbing noise under the car, got to a stop at the junction, and no 1st gear!!! :eek: :eek: Turned the car off and back on again managed to force it into first and pulled over to see what actually happended to my car, (there was no Hard sholder on the motorway due to road works) All the soundprofing was ripped apart causing the rubbing noise on the floor, no visiable damage was seen. Got back into the car and no reverse :( :( Then I realised something quite £££ has happended.

I have no reverse and when put it into First the reverse lights come on. Not good, all other gears are sound.

Seems whatever I drove over has compleatly ripped something inside the gearbox apart or somesort of rod is bent to select the gears.

I cannot believe it :(

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
you might be lucky and only bent the linkage, new one isn't that much, same one for all phs2 clios too

182 FF (Black Gold)
Just sent a parts request to cliospares :)!! Just hope it is a bent linkage, will take it to a garage tomorrow to get somebody who knows about these things to have a look.

Any decent non cowbow garages around West Yorkshire anybody knows about? Thanks.

182 FF (Black Gold)
Will pop down tomorrow and see what he says :) The car drives fine, just no reverse and when popped into first the reverse light comes on!! Ha quite fun seeing cars behind you thinking ur going to smash into them. Being using 2nd to start off but I dont want to do this for long as it will burn the clutch out in time.

182 FF (Black Gold)
Well the gearbox is fubard :( £££ to fix, 3 days worth of labour charge. Getting a clutch fitted too at the same time as its on the original at 65K miles. :( :(

182 FF (Black Gold)
No mate took it to the guy who fitted my exhaust he is a good bloke, its modtech near RS tuning in Armley. Well he quoted me a high ££ so I know what to expect but he reckons he would have it sorted in less than 10 hours.

182 FF (Black Gold)
He said around 10, but the car will be with him till the end of the week I think. Maybe I overdid the 3 days labour charge bit!! :D! Will wait and see what he says to me today if its a new gearbox or not :(

182 FF (Black Gold)
£700 all in for a new clutch and all the plates etc aswell as repairing the gearbox, WOW!!! :( :( Gutted isnt the word.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
a local trusted mechanic is worth his weight in gold....

I know of two and they're both heavy blokes plus they know their stuff which makes them worth more.

PH1 172
Maybe worth taking it to the garage Fred was talking about and get a 2nd opinion before starting the work mate.

182 FF (Black Gold)
Well the gearbox is out, so I guess I cant really ask it to be fitted and get a second opinion. I know the guy and garage so I know he isnt ripping me off. I think I wil leave the clutch in and not get it replaced. I cant really afford to and if it wasnt slipping anyways there could be a few years life in it yet.

Clio 197
Well the gearbox is out, so I guess I cant really ask it to be fitted and get a second opinion. I know the guy and garage so I know he isnt ripping me off. I think I wil leave the clutch in and not get it replaced. I cant really afford to and if it wasnt slipping anyways there could be a few years life in it yet.

if the gearbox is out it wont cost much more to replace the clutch, I would get it done now. Is it a new gearbox for £700?

182 FF (Black Gold)
if the gearbox is out it wont cost much more to replace the clutch, I would get it done now. Is it a new gearbox for £700?

Thats what he said, you wouldnt have to pay labour charges, that includes clutch kit, pressure plate and relase bearing and some other bits, plus the gearbox selector folks and a reverse gear thingy!! So not a new gearbox. Hmmm seems expensive thinking about it. You can pickup gearboxes for £250 thereabouts.

182 FF (Black Gold)
3 days labour? he on crack?

I have no idea! Doubt it mind, the shop is full of exotica and he knows what he is doing! I think he quoted around 10 hours for labour, me getting mixed he will have the car for 3 days, obv not not 3 days labour charges. :)

Lionel Richie
yup, takes all of 10min to change the clutch with it apart

autodata book times are as follows

7.3hours to replace a clutch,

maybe the labour on top is to rebuild the box? or is the box just being replaced for another??

182 FF (Black Gold)
I belive he has sent the box off to be looked at and repaired so thats where the other 3 hours have gone to? I need to ring him later and check a few things out so will ask him for sure :)

PH1 172

For piece of mind and while you have the gearbox out you should get your clutch done as well mate.........will save you a few quid in the long run ;). Good luck with getting the car back on the road and make sure you find out exactly what you are paying for :)

182 FF (Black Gold)
It makes sense :) The clutch kit is £80 fitted so silly not to do! Just told me the gearbox is £410 to fix, I wonder how much new they are or reconditioned?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know if there's any record of the gearbox oil being changed, m8? It maybe completely unrelated, but my 182's on 80k now and I've had the gearbox oil changed three times - and will do again when it reaches 84k.

I'm not saying it will make your gearbox bomb-proof but it certainly can't do any harm to change the oil every now and then. :)

Hope you get it all sorted - a s**tter for this time of year mind....

D.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Did you get a run down of what is actually 'fubared'/broken or did you just accept on face value that the gearbox was done?

Apologies for being cynical but if it were me i'd want to see what they have found to warrant it needing a gearbox.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Did you get a run down of what is actually 'fubared'/broken or did you just accept on face value that the gearbox was done?

Apologies for being cynical but if it were me i'd want to see what they have found to warrant it needing a gearbox.

Valid.

When we put the new engine in mine, I reconnected the arm incorrectly and 1st was 3rd! Jacked it back up and adjusted.
Sounds like you could get the gears, just the arm was bent, or damaged from whatever you hit. Which makes your £700 bill a little difficult to swallow.

Having said that, without seeing inside the box or pics of the underside, who knows - he might be telling the truth, but you definately want a breakdown of whats wrong.

182 FF (Black Gold)
Well we initially though the arm would only need reheating and bending back into place. He tried to put the gears in manually but you still couldn’t engage reverse. Took the gearbox out and it needs a lot of parts inside, something about a reverse selector and some other bits that have bent or snapped. I was hoping it was just the arm that was damaged. It 100% seems not and its done quite a bit of damage inside the box.