ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil - are all brands really the same stuff

Clio 172 Cup
Are all oil brands near enough using the same oil technology and product.

I need some 5w/40 fully synth for my clio, but whose should i buy, mobil 1, silkolene, shell..........etc

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Search for posts by 'Oilman'

Its generally like everything, you get what you pay for but the benefits are debatable.

R35 GTR
I am going to be trying this stuff:

3055_1.jpg

cost me 72.99 delivered for 10 litres.

Clio 172 Cup
Exactly how cheap do you want oil? It doesn't come out of a tap.

It does when you have a 200 litre drum with a tap on the bottom :rasp:

I'm just looking for the best deal. And the price legoman is cheap. If he can tell me where he buys it from i'll be satisfied.

VX220 Turbo
running on silkolene in my trophy at the moment, does seem a little quieter than before the change.

and the answer to where he buys it from would be stoke (thats where it's made lol)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
i think a lot of it is bullsh*it my mate works for pirtek changing hoses on machines etc he told me theres only 3 companies who produce oil

i think a lot of it is bullsh*it my mate works for pirtek changing hoses on machines etc he told me theres only 3 companies who produce oil
Compnay can make a variety of products. ie the big fuel compnay make petrol but BT ultimate different than Tesco.

so what do you recommend edde?

5-40 is a good oil for most people on here fully synthetic and chnage it ever 6k.

I don't have any preference for service cars just use the service oil whatever cheap stuff I have (Vauxhall stuff good for most people and dirt cheap). For my car its Millers but that pricy but necesary for track use realy and the long times I leave it between services.

i'm using my car for quite a few track days, so is it better to go for a 'more expensive one'

IMO yes a proper race oil like Motil or Millers will last much better at high temps which you get on track. but then again depends how you drive using a cheaper normal oil anc chnage it ever track day is a cheaper and good way round the problem as realy the oil should be changed ever track day regardless IMO.

Clio 172 Cup
ok thanks for your advice, i'd rather go for the crappy stuff and change it, then spend s**t loads on oil i'm spilling down the drain (not literally) after each track day.