ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil = bhp increase

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
on another forum im on, someone posted who runs a company that sells oils and also races lotus's, said he was thinking of entering in mini championship, and he said that someone in the championship was over 1 second a lap faster than his competitors because of the oil he uses.

i asked how the oil would make him do faster lap times and he said

It reduced the friction in the engine and gearbox thus giving quicker acceleration, more power and torque. This has not been proven on the dyno but as this is the case with every other engine tested I would bet this is the case.

When we try different products on cars we only make one change to ensure that we know exactly what causes any changes.

The figures for a BMW Mini JCW 2 litre turbo were:

Using Castrol 10w60 200.3 BHP
Using Bardahl 10w60 209.8 BHP

An MX5 (132BHP) gained approximately 8BHP from changing from Mobil 1 to Bardahl.

If it is dry next Tuesday I shall bring along the Timken bearing test machine to demonstrate why Bardahl competition oil makes such a difference.

can oil really give you bhp increase?

406 V6, Race Buggy
At 200bhp? Might get a couple of bhp from the engine and transmission combined.

A second a lap? Not a bloody hope.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
maybe he didnt put any oil in it. the weight saving would see a gain of atleast a second a lap ;)

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
different grades of oil make a difference to power, but also engine life. This Bardahl company seems to sell those magic oil additives though...