ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil catch tank - what to get?

RB 182
For our track car yes. We had a build up of oil pressure and it fired some back through the relief pipe into the induction hose and all over the air filter :(

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Surely doesn't need to be anything fancy? The 172 racer just ran an empty oil container.

catchtank.jpg

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Thanks for the diagram.

So, if we were to fabricate one I know the oil gets caught in the tank but do you need an exhaust on the tank to breath in to atmosphere. I was thinking outlet pipe with small filter towards the top of the tank

TrackCar & F30 330d
On icemans Brit car we fitting one similar to the link you posted and and a pipe coming from the engine into the tank and then a small breather on the other tube on the tank. I just have a long tube going to a monter energy drink can!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I ran one for 6 months with a vac line running from the outlet back into the intake to prevent oil just sitting in the line.
When I took it out there was not one drop of oil nor any oil on the TB.

They look nice though, might put it back in sometime.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
You don't need one lads, the airbox caught it nicely ;) I take it you got home ok Nick?

Lol - yeh it did. Although I would prefer the smoke not to happen when the engine inhales said oil that's was sitting in the inlet. Also stops passengers panicking and fumbling with harness release when I pull off track, thinking the car is just about to catch fire;)

Got home fine thanks. Not a single puff of smoke:). Thanks again with for assistance yesterday.

Golf GTD Mk7
Lol. Race suits needed for next time. That's good news. Wack a paper renault filter in and jobs a good one :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd go with the Motrio range of filters myself.... exactly the same part but in different packaging and a price of £8 vs £17

Glad you're all sorted though and it was nice to meet you all at Donnington.

Mick

182cup & 172 racecar
I've seen Mocal used on here plenty of times, it looks a quality bit of kit but comes with a hefty price tag for just a tank. Is it worth the money or will the link below do the job just as well?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUARE-OI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fb5fd9fa

Thats a very good price for that.We had one of these to start with,but it didn't comply with the Blue book regs(not big enough)2ltr engine req's 2ltr tank.
We just stuck a little filter from Halfords on the outlet job done.Pics are in our build thread somewhere.
We now have an alloy one.

172 cup, Impreza P1
The main reason I got one is that oil vapour when mixed with fuel lowers it's octane rating so going into the inlet is going to mix with fuel.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Trouble is we had a little more than just vapour entering the inlet tract. It was hard to gauge how much oil but enough to run down the inlet hose and through the panel filter and be visible in the bottom of the airbox!

Now it's been cleaned up we had no further issues but haven't pushed it like a proper track session would do. I plan to write a detailed report of what happened in my next project update but the oil came through after a few hard laps and ultimately revving in 4th at 7k down the Dunlop straight at Donington then immediately braking extremely hard. Came onto start finish straight and the breather pipe had popped off!

Catch tank being delivered tomorrow hopefully