ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change, can't belive the difference!

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
Just had my 172 MOT'd and while it was in I got them to change the oil and filter as well. Can't beleive what a difference its made. The engine feels so much smoother, acceleration feels crisp and it even seems to sound better at high revs.

Its now on 16,000 and I've never gone more than 7,000 miles between oil changes. I used mobile 1 after 1500 miles and then watever renault used when it was serviced at 9,000 miles. The garage that did the MOT just put there standard synthetic in, £15 so its nothing special but the car feels much nicer to drive. Should an oil change really make that much difference?

clio 182 black /gold
Oh yes an oil change does wonders it is thicker and cleaner. The amount of times i have changed the oil on my cars and the differnce is amazing3.

SLK 350
Well put it this way, the oil you speak of is the only thing keeping your car working, its the one thing that stops metal-metal grinding at 7,000rpm. So in answer to your question, yes its important and yes it will make a nice difference to your car :)

Its a ince treat for it, now you just need to change your gearbox oil, and enjoy a smoother gear change :)

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport
ozzyo99 said:
Well put it this way, the oil you speak of is the only thing keeping your car working, its the one thing that stops metal-metal grinding at 7,000rpm. So in answer to your question, yes its important and yes it will make a nice difference to your car :)

Its a ince treat for it, now you just need to change your gearbox oil, and enjoy a smoother gear change :)

Your probably right there. I do struggle getting it in on some down changes.

SLK 350
Thats because renault make sh1t gearboxes, they are probably the weakest component on my 172, that said the clutches aren't much better either.

BG 182 FF
my 1.2 sounds tapety as hell! so i got new oil and dnt know how to change it....lol GRIM. i obviously know wer it goes...jus unsure how to drain the old oil...dnt take the mik haha!

SLK 350
Joef,

Get some axel stands and get your car jacked up safely, then under your car there you will see the oil sump (biggish tank under the car, directly under engine). Within that you will find a sump bolt (might be behind a plastic sump protector, but not sure on 1.2) which will require an 8mm square socket drive.

Get an old washing up bowl or something, and undo the sump bolt. The oil will drain out and there you have it. Now you can use some engine flush to get the remaining oil/crap out, or you can just unscrew the filter and replace that. Then do the bolt up, and refill the car with 4.5 litres of good quality oil (preferably 5-40w synthetic).

Now dispose of the oil at your local tip (do it properly) and jobs a gooden!

Audi TT 3.2 V6
looking at doing an oil change myself over the next couple of days and want to flush the engine thru. should engine flush be put in with the old oil let the engine idle for a bit and then drain? or drain and just pour the engine flush in the filler cap and let it run out through the sump?

ta, russ

172 cup'd extreme
russ9898 said:
looking at doing an oil change myself over the next couple of days and want to flush the engine thru. should engine flush be put in with the old oil let the engine idle for a bit and then drain? or drain and just pour the engine flush in the filler cap and let it run out through the sump?

ta, russ

with engine flush you need to rev it a little , how many miles has your car done?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
its done 43k. not sure if the oils ever been changed tbh...theres a stamp in the book but the plugs and air filter hadnt been changed when i checked...so sceptical on the oil now.