ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil change query

ukfirebird

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182, silver
So I'm new to the clio world, I've only had my 182 about 2weeks now.
Now I'm probably older than most people on here and something I've been doing since the 80s is using a thinner oil over the winter months to avoid engine wear during the colder temperatures, as the thinner oil get around the engine quicker therefore lubing the internals better when the engine cold, so today I used a 0-40 oil and in march/april i will go back to the 5-40 oil.
Does anyone here also do this?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
In all seriousness i've never had any problems with the standard genuine elf oil, and my car has done 141k miles.
It's more important to make sure it filled up, as these like to use/leak a little oil.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
It doesn't get cold enough to warrant using 0w-40 over here.

Be better to use 5w-40 or 10w-40 on worn out higher mileage engines to keep the oil pressure up on cold start.

ukfirebird

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182, silver
I've always done this to my cars, no matter what type classic or modern l, it was something a racer told me about back in the day and it and it has stayed with me, he raced everything from the mini to cossies etc...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Spend an extra 5 minutes warming your engine up before driving if concerned imho

That’s bad advice from what I’ve heard?

Best to get in, start it then drive it right away.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Nah it's best to leave it ticking over for a minute and then drive steady without much load I've found

No point in leaving it running, you get more oil pressure when driving

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Nah it's best to leave it ticking over for a minute and then drive steady without much load I've found

No point in leaving it running, you get more oil pressure when driving

Are we talking specifically about the 1*2 or cars in general.

Moderns cars it’s best to just get in them and drive them, don’t need to be left idling it’s not god for them.

I’m basing this knowledge on my extensive skills of google.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Are we talking specifically about the 1*2 or cars in general.

Moderns cars it’s best to just get in them and drive them, don’t need to be left idling it’s not god for them.

I’m basing this knowledge on my extensive skills of google.
I'm talking about all cars

Start them and let them build a bit of oil pressure and flow and then drive😂 I'm just using common sense haha

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm talking about all cars

Start them and let them build a bit of oil pressure and flow and then drive😂 I'm just using common sense haha

Ok you do it your way, I’ll do it mine.

Shall we both report back in 50 years and see how many of our engines have blown up?

Also if you drive your car once a day, and leave it to idle for 30 seconds before driving off For 50 years that’s over 6.5 days you’ll have spent just sat in your car lol.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ok you do it your way, I’ll do it mine.

Shall we both report back in 50 years and see how many of our engines have blown up?

Also if you drive your car once a day, and leave it to idle for 30 seconds before driving off For 50 years that’s over 6.5 days you’ll have spent just sat in your car lol.
You're very optimistic if you think I'll live to 73😂

Yeah but I start my car, then put my phone down and my wallet in the door then put my belt on. In that time it's got oil circulated and no time of mine has been wasted really😂

RB 182 FF
I've worked in Sweden and it's common practice there for people who love their cars to change the oil in the autumn for the harsh winters(-20/-30 for long periods). But with our climate I think you're fine with 5w40 all year round... My 182 is on 119k and always been run on 5w40,ir still sounds sweet.... 👍🏻👌🏻

RB 182 FF
To add to the above, it probably goes without saying a good quality Fully Synth oil is as important as anything... No point skimping on the lifeblood of the little Clio....