ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil in coolant reservoir!!!!

I took the cap off of the coolant reservoir to top it up as it had gone down close to minimum, and I noticed a brownish oily substance (not very thick) around the inside of the opening that the cap fits on to!!! And the coolant looks like its a bit darker.

Now im no tech wizard but that suggests to me that oil is getting into the coolant via - the head gasket???

There isnt any mayonaisse like stuff in the oil or round the inside of the oil filler cap - so maybe there is just a minor leak.

Does this sound right or is there another explanation.

The car is less than a year old with 29K on the clock.

Im thinking thank f**k for warrantys!!!!!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

would sound to me like the head gasket mate, if the level has gone right down its possible the gasket went the other way! check your dipstick for water contamination!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

does the cup have a built in oil cooler like the renault 5 rads do ??? if so it could of leaked in there.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

maybe a headgasket but i would have it checked out because it may just be some deposits caused by the evaporation of coolant which would be normal.

Cheers, I suppose they do compression tests and stuff like that.

Theres no evidence of water in the oil. I checked the dipstick, under the oil cap etc - all fine.

Could as you say be deposits, as Ive just taken it for a blast come back and looked in - no sign of any brown bits!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you will always get some small deposits caused by the evaporation of coolant.you could change the coolant,rinse out the bottle and just keep an eye on it over the next few weeks,but from the description you gave i dont think theres anything to worry about just top the level up and keep an eye on it.