ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil leak.

CTR--VX220D
Think I've stumbled across an oil leak :(

Checked underneath the car and the oil seems to drip from the gearbox [linkages]

Its not loads but there is a small collection of drips on my drive.

Anyone else had this - what is the most probable cause - and costs to fix?

Thanks

Chris

Vectra :(
Strangely enough i lost a lot of oil the other day, from 3/4 on the stick to just above min. Topped up again when i got home and since then i have given it some stick to try and find out where it went but its all fine again now :S

I know this doesn't help much mate

How much have you lost? A few drops on the drive could be more as it tends to collect in the tray under the car. On my old 172 i lost oil but never had a drop on the drive. I presumed the rings or something but then when i dropped the tray underneath it was the sump washer and the tray was full of oil.

CTR--VX220D
Not sure - just noticed a covering of oil on the linkages under the gearbox. :(

Im fitting my new suspension tomorrow so will have another look. I hope its the sump plug because Im doing an oil change this week - but would the oil run down to the gearbox if it was the sump plug?

:(

Tungy
Hey ho this thread is ages old but just discovered an Oil leak on my valver whilst running engine whilst it sat on the drive tonight :(. Still not badck on the road yet and a lot of work has gone into fixing this car :(. Seems to be coming from around the bottom of the gearbox/engine, deffinately engine oil though. Could be the crankshaft oil seal but we changed this whilst the engine was out?

CB600FS
If you've done quite a bit of work Brad, have you checked the simple stuff?

Gearbox plug washer, driveshafts sat correctly etc

Mégane RS
How much is it for a gear box oil change? my cars coming up to 60k and i'm not sure if its been done b4

CTR--VX220D
Mine is still leaking a small bit of oil between the engine and box. Yoz said its nothing to worry about because the leak is so small [and is gearbox oil]. The only thing that will solve it completely will be to crack the box off and reseal.

Incidentally Yoz discovered that I had a Clio Cup gearbox on my 172FF so maybe it wasnt installed 100% be the previous owner! At least I have got a new box ;)

If the leak is gearbox Oil and is slight, I wouldnt worry about it.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Mine is still leaking a small bit of oil between the engine and box. Yoz said its nothing to worry about because the leak is so small [and is gearbox oil]. The only thing that will solve it completely will be to crack the box off and reseal.

Incidentally Yoz discovered that I had a Clio Cup gearbox on my 172FF so maybe it wasnt installed 100% be the previous owner! At least I have got a new box ;)

If the leak is gearbox Oil and is slight, I wouldnt worry about it.
what does ur speedo work off then?? is there a speed sensor in the top of the box? as normally the speedo on the ff box runs of the abs system via the ecu

Tungy
Looks like engine back out for me :(. Nights drawing in and lots of things at the weekends too so it's going to set the back on the road date a lot longer back :( Not happy.

is there a diff between ff clio and cup clio gearboxs? are the ratios different?
Same ratios, the Cup box has a hole in it for a speedo sensor which the speedo and ECU get therespeed reading from the phase 2 (apart from a few early ones) get there speed from the ABS system. The CUp doesn't have ABS senseor so reading had to come from the gearbox.
It was a crash repaired so I'd guess the old box was damaged your cars to late to have needed the Cup spec gearbox drive box.

Tungy
Tom, engines only just gone back in. Had it out, cleaned it, changed crankshaft oil seal, oil filter, rocker cover gasket etc so it's got to be a leak. Only place I can think of it coming from is between the engine and gearbox.