ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil leak

///M135i
have a 04 182 there is oil sitting below the bit that has renault sport written on it (sorry cant remember what its called) garage that I bought it from say its the rocker cover gasket. they resealed the breather plate and it went away but its came back!

annoyed to say the least and they claim it isnt covered in my warranty :mad:

cheers michael

172 cup
it will be ur rocker cover gasket dude ull need a new gasket and cam end seals due to the cams need to be locked up with a special tool to take rocker cover off

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The 182 doesn't have a rocker cover gasket so its not that.
The oil is more than likely seeping out of the cam cover bolts. You need to get hold of a high temp RTV sealant (gasket sealant) and seal around the bolt holes one by one.

///M135i
is this true?

so they were probably trying to get my cash!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I phoned k-tec about an order I placed a while back and they say its something to do with the cam cover gasket?

If you could give me any more info ollie would be appreciated coz im taking it in on friday and need all the ammo I can get

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Sorry i didn't get back to you mate.

The 182 or the 172 for that mater does not come with a cam cover gasket. Its basically sealed with a gasket sealant.
If you remove the plenum (the part that goes over the cam cover) then you'd be able to see where the oil was seeping from the cam cover bolts.

///M135i
no bother ollie gona get it done anyway.

garage said £225 fitted and aux belt after me moaning so am not complaining.

cheers again mate

Lionel Richie
that's way too cheap! wouldn't let them touch it, its a BIG job to reseal the rocker cover

the proper way invovles new cambelt kit also, so make sure they change it, and ASK IF THEY HAVE THE SPECIAL RENAULT CAM LOCKING TOOLS FOR THE JOB - if they don't walk away

(if its a renault dealer then you'll be fine)

ibiza cupra
my liquid gasket was leaking too so i had it done when i had the dephaser and belts done but like fred said that seems very cheap and i would be wary as they may not realise how big the job is and do a half arsed when they do.

///M135i
fred thats him only charging a 25% of the labour he would of... its under warranty but it doesnt cover leaks, long story tbh, fed up and just want it fixed.

im sure my timings out coz the end caps dont look new and they done it when i bought it and it just doesnt feel right compared to my mates 172 cup. any way of checking this? without tools :D

cheers michael

182 has now gone!
Sounds strange... I have an 04 plate 182, and the same thing happened. It was leaking oil from round the cam cover bolts. They need to be re sealed with gasket sealent. Mine has been fine since this has been done..

ibiza cupra
not sure mate but if you could im not sure i would want to as the one belt would be more warn than the other

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The Aux belt doesn't interfere with the Cambelt. (except when it snaps. Thats when it decides to get intimate with it!)
Changing one does not mean the other has to be done.

The only time both need doing is if both are due at the same time.
I.e The aux belt is approaching 36k and the car is nearing 5 years old (cambelt renewal time)

More often than not, oil leaking from the cam cover is misdiagnosed as coming from the cam cover when in fact it leaks from the cam cover bolts.
Be careful as alot of garages will try and charge you for removing the cam cover to renew the sealant which as Fred rightly says requires a change of cambelt.