ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak!?!?

I viewed a 2003 cup today and really liked it, except it had a bit of oil sitting on the rocker cover [i think].
There is a picture below, not from the car I viewed today, but very simliar.
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/p1010450wxp.jpg/

Am I right in thinking its most probably just a case of removing, cleaning and resealing the rocker cover bolts?
Any thoughts would be greatley apreciated.
Thanks. :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's a cambelt off job I believe, mines only used 1ltr in 5 years so not that bothered.

Oil hasn't just been split down there when topping the oil up has it? I suspected mine was leaking not long after buying the car. I mopped the oil up and there's been no more evidence of oil around there. Worth trying to clean it and keeping an eye on it.

The original post isn't that clear really, that picture is just an example, the car I saw did have quite a bit less oil than that, probably half as much, or even less.
How likely is it to be serious on a sub 40k mileage 2003 cup?

ITB'd MK1
The original post isn't that clear really, that picture is just an example, the car I saw did have quite a bit less oil than that, probably half as much, or even less.
How likely is it to be serious on a sub 40k mileage 2003 cup?

if it's due a cambelt it's no big issue. an hours extra labour on top. has it been done? (should have been at 6 years old!!)

C

Cupster

Hi J, we will get your mind put to rest! The pics I send you tonight I will post here too so the guys can see aswell. :)

C

Cupster

OK, pics of engine in question:

26102009812.gif

26102009813.gif

26102009815.gif

If there are more pics needed, let me know.

The oil levels are spot on since last service in Dec 08. doesn't appear to be fresh so makes me think some was spilt or something. Will get it checked out, but what do people think it may be?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cupster

Fred: Is there any way to tell if its anything more sinister. Was going to try cleaning then see if any significant amounts come back? I would expect the oil level to have gone down if there was a real leak?

Also, if this is the known bolts prob, would that be excessive loss for an engine not cleaned for the last two years, lol :quiet:

Lionel Richie
na the level will never really be affected by a rocker leak, you're talking tiny amounts, like MAX 250ml over a lengthy period (its really not a major problem!)

take the plenum off, every bolt that has oil round it, remove, blob silicone down the holes and whack em back in (12nm)

done

Lionel Richie
its rare to see one that doesn't leak, its due to how they (the frenchies) assemble the engines at factory, they use a paint roller (yes, madness) to apply some shitty sealant as its quicker

C

Cupster

lol @ frenchies..... and lol @ their sealant applying techniques.

Thanks again.