ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil on plugs, HELP

Clio 2 1.4 16v
Hey guys,
I run an Clio 2, 1.4 16V, D**** engine number, VF1BB130F... Vin
The other day I removed plugs to clean them, and noticed that I had oil on plug 2&3, NOT on the spark plug itself (inside combustion chamber), but rather outside the plug (plug spanner was full of oil and plug itself oily). Now, this got me thinking, is there an oil seal between the head and maybe tappet/rocker covers that might need replacing there?
Hope the discription makes sense. Its not the sparking part of plug that is "soiled", bit rather the outside where coils fit.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
cam seal gone its just sealant no seal. the cam cover also holds the cams in place so will require a cambelt change at the same time.

Clio 2 1.4 16v
Yeah, spoke to my local agent yesterday who said the 1.4 takes a sealant while 1.2 has a gasket. Will have to remove top cover and take it from there.
Ben, why would I need to change belt if it's only the top cover I'm removing? I'm sure all I need to do is remove the coils, undo the top cover, clean and seal? Cam belt is on the side and I seem not to have any business on that end?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Try that method and see what happens. Please film it though especially the bit where the cams fly out so we can see the reaction on your face.

master,meg, 205 maxi
Try that method and see what happens. Please film it though especially the bit where the cams fly out so we can see the reaction on your face.
the garage is correct there is just a special sealant around the cam cover but as mickpm said you need to remove the cam pulley and the inlet dephaser and that means change the cam belt because the casting of the cam cover is too tight around the cam wheels it won't come off you can try but the cams come out too and it wont go back in!

Clio 2 1.4 16v
thanx chaps. Seems like I have more on my hands than I had anticipated. Cam belt change only due in 30000kms, so will have to see if I can live with the leak. Let me monitor it over the next few weeks and see how much oil is leaking.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I've done a few rocker cover reseals on the 1.4s without removing the cambelt. Easy if your carefull.