ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil temperature on 172

Clio 172 Ph1
Does anyone knows how much is oil temperature exactly on 172 (in good condition) when pushing it hard on the road? Anybody have oil temp gauge installed so can see how oil temp behave in city driving, open road, traffic, driving for 30min between 4500-7000rpm...?

It runs apparent over 120 degree on high speed on the motorway.

Its one reason why the oil shoudl be chnaged a lot and good oil always used.

Clio 172 Ph1
Edde if it goes over 120 degree, isn't it better to use 10w-50 oil then rather than recommended 5w-40?
I change oil every 10 000km (5w-40) but maybe is better to put 10w-50 then??
Next mode on my will be oil temp gauge for sure! It should be there from factory i think.

I have ofter wandered about fitting a Oil Temp gauge to my 172ff.

But was puzzled on where i'd put the sensor ?

I've heard people talk about sandwich plates, but is there nowhere in the engine block the sensor could go into ?

Last edited:
  172 cup'd extreme
I have a sensor its never been over 110 on the track, With an oil cooler it hits 100 max on track.
Regarding fitting it use a combined oil level/ oil temp sensor from a valver, it replaces the oil level sensor on the 172.

I have a sensor its never been over 110 on the track, With an oil cooler it hits 100 max on track.
Regarding fitting it use a combined oil level/ oil temp sensor from a valver, it replaces the oil level sensor on the 172.

Are the combined sensors from a valver the same thread as the 172 ?

Where does the oil temp sensor screw into ?

Any pics ?

172 cup'd extreme

Are the combined sensors from a valver the same thread as the 172 ?

Where does the oil temp sensor screw into ?

Any pics ?

Same thread, take the existing level sensor out of the 172 block and replace with a valver one. It has 3 wires coming off it 2 for the oil level and one for your oil temp gauge feed.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Edde says it can get up to 120 degrees on the road.

16v_jon says it only gets up to 110 degrees on the track.

Just so we're all sure, you guys are both talking celcius, right?