ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil useage 182

i checked the oil today with the dipstick its the 1st time iv checked since i picked it up and to my suprise it was less than 1/4 full infect very close to them bottom mark on the dipstisk, now iv had my car about 4 weeks and have done 1056miles in it..

i cannot believe its has used this much oil so im thinking that it could not have been full when i picked it up, yes maybe i should have checked but...

does anyone else find this alot of oil to have used in sucha short space of time or is it infact "normal" ?

Ford Fiesta

dont think they use much at all, what are the bars on on your trip computer when you do a test?

iv just been looking in the hand book and it says if i get no bars "------" or "oo----" like that and just the "oil ok" msg then it is ok, but the dipstick shows nearly empty!?!?! so do i trust the computer or my eyes and the dipstick ??!

:confused:

You should not trust the in Car oil Indicator.. As it is just an "indicator" and as such can fail to give the correct readings..

You must use the Dipstick as the ONLY reliable method of oil qty measurement.

Note that Renault states that using 1 litre of Oil in 1000 km is OK..

Ford Fiesta

mate are you pressing the trip reset button when it says "oil ok" this then tells you the number of bars you have... otheriwse you just get the oil ok message

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 22 August 2004

mate are you pressing the trip reset button when it says "oil ok" this then tells you the number of bars you have... otheriwse you just get the oil ok message

yeh iv done that now ;)

i got 1 bar at the end.

Mercedes AMG GLE 53

My 172 used just under a litre over the 1st few thousand miles. But after that doesnt use any at all so now so i wouldnt worry too much blaupunkt.

Dave

yeh but the thing is mate the dipstick shows nearly empty wher as the computer shows 1 bar

might give renault a ring tomorrow see what they say.... ahaha did i really just say that :D

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The dipstick isnt showing nearly empty, its showing that youre down at the lower end of whats acceptable, oil level wise. It sounds as though the dash display is showing exactly what it should.

My Cup was exactly the same during the first 1,500 miles...I never pressed the button to check then one day it flashes up "low oil"...I guess its a running in thing. I press it out of habit, every time I start it up now.

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 22 August 2004

The dipstick isnt showing nearly empty, its showing that youre down at the lower end of whats acceptable, oil level wise. It sounds as though the dash display is showing exactly what it should.

My Cup was exactly the same during the first 1,500 miles...I never pressed the button to check then one day it flashes up "low oil"...I guess its a running in thing. I press it out of habit, every time I start it up now.

well yes quite, i did not mean "emtpy" as in none in it im not completely stupid lol ;)

but i do find it odd as the computer says 1 bar so i assume this is almost full ? where as the dipstick shows running low..

ill be sure to keep my eye on it anyway :)

Boz

Arctic 182

By one bar do you mean 00000- (nearly full) or 0----- (nearly empty)?

If its the second, then the dip and computer indicator are tying up, arent they?

just out of interest how did you run your car in ? by the book ?

[Edited by maffyoo on 22 August 2004 at 10:58pm]

Edit: also did you check the oil when cold or when warm AND was it on a flat surface when you checked the oil ?

took it steady for the 1st 200miles then just drove the car normal till 500/600 miles only went above 4k rpm after i had done 350mile or so then i only took it to 5/5.5k rpm 3 times, after it had about 620miles i could not help my self so u booted it afew times redline 1st, 2nd, 3rd just for research u understand.. now i just drive it how i feel like and what the road conditions are like etc :)

as for checking it, yes its flat and it was this afternoon just before i went out, the car had been stood all night so it was stone cold :)

hmm, interesting. dont want to come across "as i told you so" at all but i ran mine in totally the opposite, posted on a thread on here. flat out for first 25 miles then little care thereafter (all based on science of course) had an oil change at 1K (about 125 ml used as i checked the level when delivered) then after another 5K probably used 250ml max from quantity at the oil change. regardless of that it sounds like you either

a) had little oil to start with, as even by the book you shouldnt use that much oil

b) have a gasket, blow by or other problem

are you also having poor fuel economy and high engine temp? and is the oil dirty . if you answer yes to any of these take it to a dealer (a good one). one other question how many miles when you took delivery ?

Quote: Originally posted by maffyoo on 22 August 2004

hmm, interesting. dont want to come across "as i told you so" at all but i ran mine in totally the opposite, posted on a thread on here. flat out for first 25 miles then little care thereafter (all based on science of course) had an oil change at 1K (about 125 ml used as i checked the level when delivered) then after another 5K probably used 250ml max from quantity at the oil change. regardless of that it sounds like you either

a) had little oil to start with, as even by the book you shouldnt use that much oil

b) have a gasket, blow by or other problem

are you also having poor fuel economy and high engine temp? and is the oil dirty . if you answer yes to any of these take it to a dealer (a good one). one other question how many miles when you took delivery ?

i dont know what your getting at by saying - dont want to come across "as i told you so" - you ran yours in different to me so what ?

what science the stuff you read on the net and has been posted on here..? iv read it also and all of it refers to motor bike engianes and racing teams and what they do, completely different thing IMO but this is not about running in and everyone does it how they please, i did not do it exactly by the book but i did not thrash it either :)

i did not check it when delivered probably should have i know but abit late now, water temp goes upto halfway and stays there was getting about 33mpg but now its down to 27/28 i filled up sunday and reset it.. but lets just say iv not been taking it steady all the time since i reset it ;)

the bit of oil on the dipstick looks like new very very clean and it it had 12 miles on the clock when i picked it up..
<SCRIPT language=javascript>

[Edited by blaupunkt on 22 August 2004 at 11:42pm]

didnt mean to offend in anyway with the run in stuff mate, to put the record straight the things you read on the net with motorbike engine were all four stroke / four cylinder, the science holds ... and i got a 2:1 in metallurgy and software engineering and what i was taught tends to suggest the a hard run in is the best way to go still just my opinion though.... that said a steady run in is fine especially as renault will probably harden the contact surfaces of the engine before build simply to identify flaws and to ensure they arent reknowned as a dodgy engine manufacturer !!! from what you say i wouldnt worry, you mpg sounds good as does oil quality and temp.. all id say is top the oil up to max (assuming you havent done a full change go to your local renault dealer and get some 182 performance ST) stick the oil in give it 30 mins then check that its at the max level then just drive it mate you dont have any signs of a dodgy engine unless power feels low although i think you would have one of the other symptoms if it did feel low. cars are such a stress but it sounds like you may just have been delivered one with low oil ...

you did not offend me but the fact remains that a motor bike engine thats built purely for racing is not the "same" as a engine put in a normal road car.

not that it matters but for qualifications, i did computer aided engineering, my uncle was a precision engineer for 30+ years and we know a guy who has his own garage and has been in the trade for 30+ years (he went to school with my mum), he used to race minis back in the 70s and also has other engineer qualifications i asked these people plus some others who all said that running it in hard is a load of rubbish, not something they would do and from a purely engineering point of view it is best not to thrash it but to run it in steady, not that this makes any difference as i already said people will run their own car in as they see fit, im also not saying either way is correct/wrong its all down to opinion and what you wish to believe :)

now back to my topic :D

im thinking of having the oil changed now iv done 1k miles i alway i had it in my mind to do this before even picked the car up... its just when i checked using the dipstick i was aliitle suprised to see the level so low and thats why i posted :)

well, why not ask the people you so obviously trust about an oil change? would make sense to me and apart from that it gives you piece of mind as you so obviously trust them. im not interested in getting into arguments about engines although i still maintain that the science holds - four stroke four cylinder.

I have worked with honda for several years and they bench ALL their engines at max power/ max load for 1000km before they are put in the cars, make of that what you will but i can tell you now that the K20A (used in the CTR, JDM ATR and CR-V detuned) has never had a warrany claim against running engine parts and there are over 350,000 of them in the world at the moment !official RR figures vary by just ~0.4% from what i know but im not an oracle. all i can say is what i know, if you are going for an oil change before 10K miles, use a semi synth at most, id use good quality mineral as their is still a fair bit of bedding in to go on your engine, again just my opinion.

i stand by what i do and make no excuses, i have the luxury of my 182 being my second car and it seems a bit unfair to suggest serious risks in the face of a car that you may need every day. i have seen positive results from my run in but im sure others wont from the same process, i know people who say this personally myself.

get an oil change and use some decent mineral oil, bedding in takes at least 10K miles so you need thick oil that can maintain the conditions needed

Full Fat 182 - Was..

think about what your saying with the mineral oil.

Fully sinthetics arnt junk and neither are semis

i worked at Esso for a few years an i know for fact that they have developed a fully sinthetic oil that is to replace all oils when the oil reserves run out

A fully sinthetic oil is butter in modern aplications than mineral because it has been tuned to behave a cirtain way under the conditions it was designed for.

Mineral oil is good for old engines but no good for modern ones, and that attitude of needing a thick oil to bed in the engine is junk, ive seen the tests, the results and driven the test cars that used a fully sinthetic oil that is piss thin like water!

and it out performs mineral in every class, temperature, partical suspension, lifespan, upper and lower working limits, the lot!

The problem with mineral oil is in high performance engins it doesnt handle heat very well and will de-nature, this is where basicaly it goes like chewin-gum, its ok when its cold or lukewarm but as soon as its heated up or needed for any real work its f**ked and fails to do its job properly if at all

Choose the right oil for you engine. If renault have said to use one oil type then use it, they said it for a good reason, and they did design the car in the first place.

You dont have to use the oil brand they specify just the type and grade

Mazda MX5 1.8

my 1.6 engine has used near to no oil after 9600 miles....... always been in the middle of the higher and lower mark

Ford Fiesta

so you are saying the comp and the dipstick arnt matching up, dipstick saying nearly on min while comp saying nearly full? that cant be right.

I ran mine in properly as renault say. Well in fact i kept it below 3000revs for 600mile and below 3500 for about 1000 mile now I drive normally. Dipstick very clean and on full as is the computer.

Get it to renault is they are giving conflicting readings.

Quote: Originally posted by maffyoo on 23 August 2004

well, why not ask the people you so obviously trust about an oil change? would make sense to me and apart from that it gives you piece of mind as you so obviously trust them. im not interested in getting into arguments about engines although i still maintain that the science holds - four stroke four cylinder.

I have worked with honda for several years and they bench ALL their engines at max power/ max load for 1000km before they are put in the cars, make of that what you will but i can tell you now that the K20A (used in the CTR, JDM ATR and CR-V detuned) has never had a warrany claim against running engine parts and there are over 350,000 of them in the world at the moment !official RR figures vary by just ~0.4% from what i know but im not an oracle. all i can say is what i know, if you are going for an oil change before 10K miles, use a semi synth at most, id use good quality mineral as their is still a fair bit of bedding in to go on your engine, again just my opinion.

i stand by what i do and make no excuses, i have the luxury of my 182 being my second car and it seems a bit unfair to suggest serious risks in the face of a car that you may need every day. i have seen positive results from my run in but im sure others wont from the same process, i know people who say this personally myself.

get an oil change and use some decent mineral oil, bedding in takes at least 10K miles so you need thick oil that can maintain the conditions needed
<SCRIPT language=javascript> i find this bit intresting... how have you seen positive results exactly ? what tests have you done and what are you comparing it to or agianst exactly ? maybe some of us other 182 owners could do the same tests and compare results..

as for honda ive no idea what they do but i find it hard to believe that they do this to every single engine that they massproduce round the world every single day before they put them into every car that uses this engine, but as i said ive no idea what they get upto but im sure they have a run in period as well just like renault do, also "free reving" the engine does not put it under the same stress levels as is it would driving it using the gears not as much preasure built up etc etc. but im no expert and dont clam to be, so im sure someone will put me right if what i am saying is incorrect :)

[Edited by blaupunkt on 23 August 2004 at 1:48pm]