ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ok so i've screwed my comp....upgradging advice.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
So to cut a long story short i tried a 1gig stick of ram in my machine and it's fried it! Essentially it boots up but the CPU doesn't initalise. I'm not sure if it's the cpu the motherboard or the ram...either way i'm going to have to upgrade some bits.

I fancy a shuttle since my computer is just too big and they're quiet.

My questions are

1) Think i'll needs a new CPU, can't afford dual core so i'm thinking P4 3.2g Sck 775 ( i have the 3.2 sock 478 at the moment). Wise or should i get a AMD, shock horror?!

2) Get rid of my current 6800gt 256mb XFX AGP card and get a PCI express one...similar spec...it's just shuttles don't accept the agp ones, any ideas? Selling the above is what will make financial room for getting a new one...

Just want some advice to try and make the investment worth it...

Thanks everyone!

BMW M135i
Post up how much you want to spend and what your requirements and i'll spec something up for you if you want.

Golf GTD
dont mean to sound patronising, but you'll have to get a new motherboard if you get a new socket type chipset..

BMW M135i
Hes after a shuttle and there a barebones pc they come case, psu and motherboard so you just pick the one for the cpu type and chipset you want to use.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i'm aftre spenind as little as poss but i'm after something at least as fast as what i have/had!

P4 3.2 800fsb 1gig of ram PC3200 (i'll reuse it), graphics card as above.

I know the barebone will cost around £200....i guess i'm looking at at least 350 with a chip...gcard not sure.

i'm trying to get max gaming performance out of as little as possible and i'll sell my agp card for a pci one if i have to.

thanks guys, bmh.01 v kind of u mate.

GW RS200
wooah! Might i suggest you spend a bit longer trying to mend the old one first?! Frying a whole computer just by using incompatible/faulty memory sounds fairly unlikely. Possible that either the BIOS reset to some kind of safe mode, or that you knocked something loose while poking around in there or jammed a fan...?

S.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Rebuilt the whole thing this morning. Left out all the critical components etc and when you boot up, power is being fed from the power supply, but the motherboard led's are saying thet CPU isn't initialising, i've reset the CMOS too and made no difference. The RAM chips are corsair and so have led performance indicators on them, they do nothing. So i'm fairly sure it's either the chip or the motherboard, hoping the motherboard really cause then i'll just have to get a shuttle which will fit my old hardware...which in itself is a nitemare cause trying to source s shuttle which houses socket 478 and an agp g card is pretty hard!!

BMW M135i
Shuttle : http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90528
http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/searchcall-12/searchcategory-369/noblendout-1/tabid-72/170_read-10611/

CPU: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/90949 (Can go faster if you want but your gonna pay for it)

Haven't looked at graphics cards in a long time so i'm not sure what would be best suited to you.

The trouble with shuttles is that they cost a lot to start off with and tbh that probably won't be that quiet (has 3 fans) and won't overclock worth a damn because it won't be able to shift the heat.
Seeing as your intending to reuse (i assume) your optical drives and hard disks I'd say unless you need a shuttle then just stick with what you've got and get a new motherboard/cpu/graphics card.

If you're a gamer, I wouldn't even consider Intel. Athlon64 all the way :)

It could be dodgy RAM which is your problem tho..

It's quite difficult to fry a whole comp.. unless you use a dodgy PSU or something similar..

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
nah i have a trublue 480w antec job for power, cost me like £55-60 or so, seems to be working ok. I'm gonna bring it into work for testing see if i can narrow it down, but i been thinking of getting ashuttle for a while, i have mate who has one and they're like totally silent even though they have 3 fans....not sure...will have to investigate more. bmh01 cheers mate, than chip looks awesome and the shuttle is perfect, can even house dual core, so slighty more future proof. Just need to sell my gcard and get the pci express one, should sort it all out.

never been bothered about overclocking so thats ok. thanks for the help everyone.

My Antec appeared to be working OK, but it was only supplying a low amount of power to certain lines - fans worked, nothing else did.. it just kinda made a buzzing sound.

I RMA'd it, and they sent me a new one which was fine - so they do give up :)

But yea, best to try and narrow it down to see what the cause is :)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv always had AMD, but my current pc i a P4 3.0 HT, but mainyl because it came up as a bargain and i couldnt turn it down.

Have to say im happy with it, the main benefit being I can run all my fans on 50% throttle and the PC is virtually silent!

Gone are the days of having mega cooling, mega loud fans on my AMD's that send me crazy during the night lol! I know you can get quiet fans but still :)