ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old Games Collections.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I had a ZX Spectrum in the loft of this house when we moved in 2017. I sold it to a Nerd at work for 40 quid. Think he had to replace something on the board to get it working but it lived!

Furthest back I've got is the N64.
I sold the Sega Mega Drive to get the N64 back in the day. I remember having to look for sale ads in bargain pages too at when I was after a Mega Drive. Couldn't afford new prices back in day

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It could do this, in 1987, at a very early stage in it's life. If only it had got proper traction I've no doubt we'd have seen some truly incredible stuff from it. First RISC based home computer IIRC, and if you trace back the lineage of most ARM processors which drive mobile phones you end up with the Archimedes.

We were lucky enough to have an Archimedes with Zarch on it at school back in the late 80s.

Controlling that aircraft was tricky with the mouse, but it looked and played like nothing else - especially when the rest of the kit around it were BBC Micro B's playing Football Manager!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK @Darren S

Just remembered buying this from John Menzies when it first came out.
Was amazing and the difficulty was savage (for a bairn).

I was lucky enough to get the Amiga 500 Batman Pack, back in the day. Batman itself was a great game, but I think The New Zealand Story that came with the pack, just pipped it. Definitely up there with Rainbow Islands as one of my all time favourite platformers.

It came with F-18 Interceptor too - which being an aircraft geek at the time, was just amazing for me. I recall getting the additional 512KB memory expansion some time later and F-18 suddenly had title music playing on it. The resources were that limited that they had to disable that if you had the standard A500 memory capacity onboard.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, another A500 Batman pack owner here. The Amiga was so ahead of it’s time, it’s a shame it suffered the same fate as everything which wasn’t a PC. Turns out an open (ish), expandable, upgradable platform crushes other computers in the end.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I was trying to explain to Luca the other day how when you got a console you usually got one game with it, you might have to play that until your birthday or christmas depending on how much you could save in between!

He didn't grasp the concept when the switch came with 7 games and 3 downloaded games (codes). Kids eh!

A4 Avant & A3
Anyone remember the 'INPUT' magazines?
my old man used to get them & think he still has them in their black folders with silver writing!

They would have pages & pages of code so you could program your very own pong game (which i did)
We also had a module you plugged into the Spectrum that turned text into robotic speech.. those were the days lol

My cousin had the C64 at the same time, so we had that little bit of rivalry, I must admit harrier attack was a bit better on the c64

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was trying to explain to Luca the other day how when you got a console you usually got one game with it, you might have to play that until your birthday or christmas depending on how much you could save in between!

He didn't grasp the concept when the switch came with 7 games and 3 downloaded games (codes). Kids eh!
My SNES came with super mario all stars, which had about 5 games on it I think. Didn't often get a new game, only had that for a long time but my dad did used to rent them a lot from our local rental shop for me.

My Playstation only came with Crash and that's all I had for a while, plus the demo disc which I played a lot too!

Honestly it was so much better like that, you couldn't just have everything, you had to really pick and choose and then you got a lot of enjoyment from each game.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
And had to complete it. When we got the dreamcast even, so so so many hours between my brother's save and mine playing Shenmue which was game changing story telling etc imo. We only had maybe 2 games to start with aswell.

N64 I had duke nukem also that I plowed hours into! Good times, definitely apprciated it more. I remember saving for a baseball game for one of our consoles (I loved american sports) took me so long.

A4 Avant & A3
My SNES came with super mario all stars, which had about 5 games on it I think. Didn't often get a new game, only had that for a long time but my dad did used to rent them a lot from our local rental shop for me.

My Playstation only came with Crash and that's all I had for a while, plus the demo disc which I played a lot too!

Honestly it was so much better like that, you couldn't just have everything, you had to really pick and choose and then you got a lot of enjoyment from each game.

Brings back memory's that.. we used to go to the video shop & rent snes games for my mates console.

And even more so.. the game demos you used to get on the magazines! the time I've spent playing the same part of a game over & over as we couldn't afford to just buy games when we wanted.

I think i preferred that way too, now the kids have an endless supply of games.. (free games that you can spend an unlimited amount of real money on!) doesn't seem like you buy 1 game & try to 'complete' it now. I guess there are still games like that but the kids aren't into it now for whatever reason.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK @Darren S

Just remembered buying this from John Menzies when it first came out.
Was amazing and the difficulty was savage (for a bairn).

I remember finishing that one!

That brings back memories... but what a disappointing game completion/ending screen! 🤣

I was lucky enough to get the Amiga 500 Batman Pack, back in the day. Batman itself was a great game, but I think The New Zealand Story that came with the pack, just pipped it. Definitely up there with Rainbow Islands as one of my all time favourite platformers.

It came with F-18 Interceptor too - which being an aircraft geek at the time, was just amazing for me. I recall getting the additional 512KB memory expansion some time later and F-18 suddenly had title music playing on it. The resources were that limited that they had to disable that if you had the standard A500 memory capacity onboard.

New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands were two of the best platformers of their time in my opinion, and would still feature high were I compiling a list of my favourite platformers of all time! I put so many hours into those!

Clio
That brings back memories... but what a disappointing game completion/ending screen! 🤣

New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands were two of the best platformers of their time in my opinion, and would still feature high were I compiling a list of my favourite platformers of all time! I put so many hours into those!
Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Island were my two, along with Chuckie Egg.

Also Axles Magic Hammer but noone seems to remember that.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Island were my two, along with Chuckie Egg.

Also Axles Magic Hammer but noone seems to remember that.
Agreed on the first three. Bruce Lee was another good one.

Not a platformer, but one of my favourites was Space Taxi.

E30kev

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi S3 8V
Late December 1992, 11 year old me saved up all his pocket/Christmas/paper round/car washing money to buy the original Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.

I remember it now, swaggering into John Menzies and slapping down £75 on the counter like an absolute shagger.

Seventy.Five.f**king.Quid 🥴

What an absolutely horrific price for a game especially in 1992.
For an 11 year old it was like winning the lottery and spending the lot on hookers and ching 🤣

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_2460.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg
IMG_2462.jpeg
IMG_2463.jpeg
This is my stash of retro tat, it all works but TBH it’s just for display, things which make me smile and bring back good memories. That’s what it’s all about 👍

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Late December 1992, 11 year old me saved up all his pocket/Christmas/paper round/car washing money to buy the original Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.

I remember it now, swaggering into John Menzies and slapping down £75 on the counter like an absolute shagger.

Seventy.Five.f**king.Quid 🥴

What an absolutely horrific price for a game especially in 1992.
For an 11 year old it was like winning the lottery and spending the lot on hookers and ching 🤣
I remember some of the NEO-GEO titles (cartridges) that were released in the late 80s. Some were north of £250 back then - but to their credit they were the arcade ROMs with no difference between them. I believe they even offered a cross save function where you could play the NEO-GEO arcade machine, then save your progress on a card, take it away and play it on your home NEO-GEO. Absolute baller spec.

The other unicorn device was the handheld PC Engine GT. I never knew anyone with one - expensive and very rare. I could be wrong, but they may have just been a Japanese market item, hence why I never saw one?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I don't suppose anyone has a working Sharp X68000 home computer that they want to sell me for 100 quid? :ROFLMAO: I'd love one of those but they are rare, expensive, and difficult to operate unless you speak Japanese and are tech savvy. It was a league or three above anything else available at the time and was great for gaming and creativity.

On a different retro-gaming tangent... I think I might have to dig the SNES out and play through Super Mario World again. Probably still my mostest favourites game of ever all time to date yet. :ROFLMAO:

andyvidgame2.png

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I’m going to RMC - The Cave this weekend

Looking forward to some serious retro geekery.

They have a retro arcade machine museum on the same site too which I did about a month back - great memories but it was a bit claustrophobic for me so I only stayed about an hour.

That was brilliant - highly recommended for anyone into retro games or computers. Plenty of hand-on stuff as well as a really strong collection of historic machines.

I’m going to start volunteering there.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Wow - I've not seen one of those for a LONG time!!!!!
Used to look forward to the price list magazine being posted. Remember kids, this pre-dated the mainstream internet, so the 'ol Post was the only way you found out the cost of stuff. ;)

That membership would have been from my Amiga days as well as I didn't switch over to the PCMGR until late '92.