ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Olympus pulling out of the camera market

Saw this earlier - bit of a shame but not a massive surprise.

I think mobile phone cameras have got ridiculously good nowadays (depressingly so when one is lugging a massive weight of DSLR+lenses around and getting pictures no better than a phone :rolleyes: ), so it's no wonder targeting the compact mirrorless market didn't work...

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I think a few more will follow soon.

As you said, phones are so good nowadays and have loads of features for you to do (depth of field, wide angle, shutter speed, etc) that its easier to just take your camera.

Phones still have limits when it comes to zooms and when you enhance the pics, but its only a matter of time before they get better. Look how far they've come in the last 5 years.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yep I and my family used to have portable cameras, but now there is no point. Phone is perfectly adequate for my photo needs.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The only reason we take anything other than our iPhones is for motorsport purely to avoid using the average digital zoom on our phones.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Sad times but inevitable in the current market.

Until they put a 35mm sensor in an phone, I'll continue to lug my 6d around with me for the photos I do. No matter how good a phone is, it will never beat a DSLR (obviously depending on the user)

I've got a little Lumix for taking on holiday, that'll continue. I still use my phone a lot, especially at home with the boy/ when we go for walks. I've never printed anything of size off it though.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I think a few more will follow soon.

As you said, phones are so good nowadays and have loads of features for you to do (depth of field, wide angle, shutter speed, etc) that its easier to just take your camera.

Phones still have limits when it comes to zooms and when you enhance the pics, but its only a matter of time before they get better. Look how far they've come in the last 5 years.

It will be down to the phenomenal amount of money that the big companies can put into the phone cameras.
Compare the muscle Apple have for the iphone to what Olympus can muster for entry level stuff and it's a total drop in the ocean.