ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One Mile Project

Gave myself a little project today as the weather was so fantastic, simply: walk up to one mile from my front door and see what I can find.

Was really good to walk around camera in hand specifically keeping an eye out for photos, after a few shots you really lock in to potential images just as you are walking around. Best time of year for light as well, most of these probably wouldn't have worked in the Summer too well.

So, whilst these aren't award winning by any stretch of the imagination, it was a fun way to spend an hour this afternoon and more importantly it forces you to photograph the familiar, which isn't always easy...

(and you get some funny looks along the way!)

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/4306321_yrWtW

252414964_Bn2VP-L.jpg

252410535_SukhG-L.jpg

252472899_y6tLg-L.jpg

252412326_nvZWH-L.jpg
252410473_nynxG-L.jpg

Will revisit the route I took at night one evening and see what I can come up with.

1.8 Civic EX
looking good...can't really do that by me...would up in the local "traveller" camp and probably get my camera nicked lol

possible to get the red back out of the sign in background in the phone box shot too? might look rather good..

Cool pics...

However if i walked a mile from my house it would more than likely be nicked off me...

I guess I'm lucky then, houses may be fairly expensive here but it sure is nice, I can walk about 3 miles without even walking near a road, loads of cycle/walk pathway all through the area away from the main roads.

I did have to give up my Cup to live here though, so it comes with its disadvantages!

As for the letterbox, yep I just used the magnetic lasso tool on the letterbox, inversed it then converted the selection to black and white, it's just about the only photoshop trick I can do!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
You sure have an eye for a good photo!

Nice idea too. I might try it one day, although how did you keep track of how far you'd gone?

You sure have an eye for a good photo!

Nice idea too. I might try it one day, although how did you keep track of how far you'd gone?

I wasn't strict on the one mile rule, although I'm 100% sure I never got anywhere near a mile to be honest, it's fairly compact around here.

The most important thing to note is that this particular area is a massive development built in 2000 (hated by the local village), it's not in any way attractive and has no prominent landmarks or anything, it's just thousands of -almost identical- homes. I figure if I can make this area look half-decent/interesting then I can do this anywhere.

Revels Mum & Sister
Cool pics...

However if i walked a mile from my house it would more than likely be nicked off me...

I guess I'm lucky then, houses may be fairly expensive here but it sure is nice, I can walk about 3 miles without even walking near a road, loads of cycle/walk pathway all through the area away from the main roads.

I did have to give up my Cup to live here though, so it comes with its disadvantages!

As for the letterbox, yep I just used the magnetic lasso tool on the letterbox, inversed it then converted the selection to black and white, it's just about the only photoshop trick I can do!

Awesome photos. One thing to try with the Postbox one. Play with the colour channels and desaturate so it only shows the red of the postbox and the red on the road sign in the background

Thought I would revisit this one as we headed in the other direction this evening, probably only about 1/4 mile this time, towards the fields instead of the rest of the estate.

Anyhooow, pretty awesome evening. Gutted I only took my 50mm with me though, walking down the path and...

318609512_UJVQD-L.jpg

318609315_RmUan-L.jpg

But after that disappointment (with the camera at least, spent a brilliant 10-15 minutes just watching it), the 50mm got back on the case...

318608565_5BvpS-L.jpg

318612284_QwibC-L.jpg

318607339_MELDE-L.jpg