ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One question iPhone/iPT thread.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Re: iPhone Software 3.0 - Out 17/6 & iPhone 3GS - Out 19/6

I prefer to have only the one device setup in the car which makes TT for the iPhone ideal for me depending on the total cost.

BMW F31

i'm thinking about doing away with my tomtom 720 and getting this, as sneeks said i prefer to have the one device.

E87 118d M Sport

one device would be MUCH better imo!
if it is sub £60, i will buy it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I'd be all over TomTom on the iPhone if it continued to navigate when a call came in, but it won't, so it's usefulness is limited.

You can guarantee that just as you come to a set of junctions, somebody will call you.

Revels Mum & Sister

Is this confirmed that it does NOT allow Nav/Call at the same time. Even if it mutes the instructions be spoken?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Is this confirmed that it does NOT allow Nav/Call at the same time. Even if it mutes the instructions be spoken?

No third party background processes.
No API in the SDK for handling the "in-call" situation.

Unless Apple have given TomTom special dispensation and a special SDK (which is highly unlikely) then the TomTom app will be suspended once a call comes in.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Some apps already come back when a call is ended.

Google have been using "undocumented" api's for over a year so why can't tomtom.
(not that i think its an issue because its allready possible to make a call and run an app in the background)

Revels Mum & Sister

I love Snoop he is a more knowledgable version of Tom ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Some apps already come back when a call is ended.

Google have been using "undocumented" api's for over a year so why can't tomtom.
(not that i think its an issue because its allready possible to make a call and run an app in the background)

The API's google have been using are neither here nor there, nothing spectacular.

What TomTom need to do is something which Apple have already said is bad, background processess are a big no-no, I can't imagine them saying "background processes are bad, except for TomTom, that's ok.".

Or...

Apple could support this by providing API's for handling calls in application (delegates and a reduction of the available screen area so that the something along the lines of the standard Apple "press to return to call" can be implemented to override the application), but at present there are no public API's for doing this, and if they have provided this privately to TomTom, then I'm sure there's going to be a lot of developers asking why they haven't got access to it - it's not something I can think of a reason why they wouldn't allow anybody access to it.

Citroen DS3 DSport

TT will definitely be able to handle incoming call situations, they said as much this week and it'll support handsfree calling via the cradle. How it handles them has not been clearly explained.

1 of 19 Recaro'd 182 Cups

Could you not buy the iphone 3gs, £440, put in an 02 PAYG 3G Sim card(o2 sent me one for my 3g for free when i emailed them) it comes with the free 12 month web and wifi bolt on. Top up £10 a month to get 300 free txts and use the £10 on calls?

Sound for people like me who don't use that many txt's or call that many people, £10 tends to last me 6-8 weeks, if you wanted im sure there are other bolt on's for more mins/txts. And yes 3g does work with this sim as im using it now on my 3g to write this.

I will simlply sell my 3g, buy the 3gs and swop the sims over. Job done.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

TT will definitely be able to handle incoming call situations, they said as much this week and it'll support handsfree calling via the cradle. How it handles them has not been clearly explained.

Link?

Handling a call could be interpreted as "Suspending the application" and then "Returning to the application" once the call has finished, apple already provides delegates to do this. (As Tom pointed out above)

Citroen DS3 DSport

That could be exactly what they meant, we'll not know until they release more info.

The facility to Call POI is also found within the TT app so I think they must have some form of integration.

Last edited:

Could you not buy the iphone 3gs, £440, put in an 02 PAYG 3G Sim card(o2 sent me one for my 3g for free when i emailed them) it comes with the free 12 month web and wifi bolt on. Top up £10 a month to get 300 free txts and use the £10 on calls?

Sound for people like me who don't use that many txt's or call that many people, £10 tends to last me 6-8 weeks, if you wanted im sure there are other bolt on's for more mins/txts. And yes 3g does work with this sim as im using it now on my 3g to write this.

I will simlply sell my 3g, buy the 3gs and swop the sims over. Job done.

Yup, you can do exactly that.

Sadly, that £10 wouldn't last me a day! lol.. I'm going to get the texter thing. Unlimited o2 to o2 texts and calls if you top up £15 a month. Free wifi/web for 12 months.

Yup, you can do exactly that.

Sadly, that £10 wouldn't last me a day! lol.. I'm going to get the texter thing. Unlimited o2 to o2 texts and calls if you top up £15 a month. Free wifi/web for 12 months.

Sound then, at £15 a month it will still only cost you £620 over 12 months by which time there will be a new iPhone, and you will have the £15 each month to spend on calls as well as your free mins/txts, rather than £35pm going to o2 on a contract, and you won't be tied in.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

That could be exactly what they meant, we'll not know until they release more info.

On a related note, from the Navigon press release:

"If navigation is interrupted by a telephone call then navigation is resumed automatically after the call has ended."

Now, if Apple have given TomTom special privileges then it'd be anti-competitive not to give other third party competing applications special priviliges too, and Navigon certainly haven't been granted any.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

The facility to Call POI is also found within the TT app so I think they must have some form of integration.

All apps have the ability to do that currently, the app that requests it will be suspended while the call is handled. (and of course a box pops up asking you if you want to make the call - to stop apps auto-dialling)

Ibiswhite Audi S3 8P

When navigation you could always put it in flight mode, if an interruption is not wished.

Citroen DS3 DSport

I'd have to guess that TT will be exactly the same. The handsfree calling via the cradle will be as a accessory and probably not within app. So long as it returns to the app afterwards I'm happy with that, it was that sort of integration I was originally talking about.

There were early fears that a incoming call would shut down TT and you'd have to restart it yourself.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Sound then, at £15 a month it will still only cost you £620 over 12 months by which time there will be a new iPhone, and you will have the £15 each month to spend on calls as well as your free mins/txts, rather than £35pm going to o2 on a contract, and you won't be tied in.

Providing you only spent £15 on calls a month.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

I usually spend most of my inclusive bundle, wifi+data is included as part of the deal too rather than a 12 month offer. I think it's a bit close as to which is better value, at the end of the day O2 will prefer to have you in a contract though and wouldn't make it cheaper to be on PAYG (if you used the same amount of minutes etc).

If you could spend your credit on PAYG in the appstore then that might change my mind.. But that's not likely to happen.

Ibiswhite Audi S3 8P

Unlimited date + voice + texts here in Luxembourg is 50 Euros/month.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member

Quick question, will the iPod function work in car if used with a dedicated head unit like the Alpine head units?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Option 1.

Pay & Go Iphone 3GS 16gb = £440.40
Simplicity simcard @ £19.58 per month on the 12 month contract gives you 800 minutes + 1600 txts if ordered online. You also get a free bolt on with the simcard, choose Unlimited web bolt on which DOES cover 3G internet despite what some people on here have been saying.

Over 12 months this would amount to:

19.58 x 12 + £440.40 = £675.36

Advantages:

- On this tariff your getting, unlimited internet access, 800 minutes/1600 txts per month.
- You miss out on wifi, however a Pay & Go Iphone comes with 12 months free wifi access. Even with the Simplicity sim in, when you try to connect to a wifi hotspot etc it asks for your mobile number, put in the number of the PAYG sim (even though its not in the phone) and it works, you get free wifi too!
- Works out cheaper overall.
- Your not tied into an 18 month contract, meaning that in 12 months time if Apple release another new iphone, you can get it immediately.
- You could sell the iphone when the new one comes out for what, £200-300? So it could work out effectively costing you about £300 for a years use of an iphone.

Disadvantages:

-Is a bit more hassle.
- You don't get visual voicemail or internet tethering.

Option 2.

£34.26 18 month contract with Iphone 3GS 16gb which gives you 600 minutes and 500 texts = £184.98 for the phone.

£34.26 x 18 + £184.98 = £801.66

Advantages:

- It includes visual voicemail and internet tethering is available for the additional cost.
- Its less hassle.

Disadvantages.

- Alot less minutes/texts
- More expensive overall (if you did the above for 18 months instead that still only comes to £792.84
- Your tied into an 18 month contract.

Links with more details:

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20671&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,39029453,49302556,00.htm

For people who don't need loads of txts, an iphone tariff is fine, but i need more than 500 and option one gives me that at a much cheaper price.

AK

M240i

Really don't want to go through 60 pages lol

what's the main differences between the 3G and the 3GS? Considering getting an iPhone when my contracts up but can't justify the extra cost for a 3GS.

is it just video recording thats new? Anything else?

Option 1.

Simplicity simcard @ £19.58 per month on the 12 month contract gives you 800 minutes + 1600 txts if ordered online. You also get a free bolt on with the simcard, choose Unlimited web bolt on which DOES cover 3G internet despite what some people on here have been saying.

Advantages:

- On this tariff your getting, unlimited internet access, 800 minutes/1600 txts per month.
- You miss out on wifi, however a Pay & Go Iphone comes with 12 months free wifi access. Even with the Simplicity sim in, when you try to connect to a wifi hotspot etc it asks for your mobile number, put in the number of the PAYG sim (even though its not in the phone) and it works, you get free wifi too!
- Your not tied into an 18 month contract, meaning that in 12 months time if Apple release another new iphone, you can get it immediately.
- You could sell the iphone when the new one comes out for what, £200-300? So it could work out effectively costing you about £300 for a years use of an iphone.

Disadvantages:

-Is a bit more hassle.

Option 2.

£34.26 18 month contract with Iphone 3GS 16gb which gives you 600 minutes and 500 texts = £184.98 for the phone.

Advantages:

- It includes visual voicemail and internet tethering is available for the additional cost.
- Its less hassle.

Disadvantages.

- More expensive overall (if you did the above for 18 months instead that still only comes to £792.84

Links with more details:

For people who don't need loads of txts, an iphone tariff is fine, but i need more than 500 and option one gives me that at a much cheaper price.

If you don't need all the mins and txts of a simplicity contract a straight
up PAYG 3g sim would be even cheaper, depends on your personal needs.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

If you don't need all the mins and txts of a simplicity contract a straight
up PAYG 3g sim would be even cheaper, depends on your personal needs.

Need txts though to networks other than just o2

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Option 1.

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

-Is a bit more hassle.

Option 2.

Advantages:

- Its less hassle.

Disadvantages.

Links with more details:

I'm pretty sure to get the WiFi hotspot use you mention in "Option 1" you have to topup a certain amount a month, so that would soon run out. You could say who needs WiFi when you have HSDPA and I've only used wireless hotspots provided by the Cloud & Co a handful of occasions, but it's still a valid point.

Visual voicemail is a big deal.

Also, you mention you can pick unlimited data as a free bundle, is that forever or just a limited time?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

People on the O2 forum seem to think that the wifi thing works, you may be right about topping up though i'll have to do some research but it says on the website you get 12 months free wifi with the PAYG phone so perhaps you don't need to top up.

Visual voicemail is only a big deal to someone who gets left voicemails, i've had like 2 in a year lol but i can see how to some it may be pretty important.

Unlimited data is for as long as you run the simplicity contract.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Ah right, I was looking at some tarrifs today and was under the impression you get unlimited data for 12 months and then it's £10/month.

I'll have to do the math for the 32GB when the time comes. 16 isn't big enough on the 3G so sack having the same when you can record video... But seeing as my contract ends early 2010 I may just wait for the iPhone4 and hope they bring an even bigger capacity version out.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

Ah right, I was looking at some tarrifs today and was under the impression you get unlimited data for 12 months and then it's £10/month.

I'll have to do the math for the 32GB when the time comes. 16 isn't big enough on the 3G so sack having the same when you can record video... But seeing as my contract ends early 2010 I may just wait for the iPhone4 and hope they bring an even bigger capacity version out.

Well thats why im trying to get as much information as i can on the pro's and con's of the idea i've come up with because i wanna make sure its right so i don't go and spend 500 quid on an iphone only to find i can't use it the way i want to. The biggest bonus of them all is nto being stuck in a contract for the next iphone, comes to somethign when we're already thinking about iphone4 lol.

Mégane RS

What a rip off lol, are o2 likely to reduce the price of the handset at all after initial launch?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Re: iPhone Q&A DONT START ONE QUESTION IPHONE THREADS. **POST HERE**

how do i manually manage my tunes on my iphone?