ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oops sony stop oled production

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Maybe if a 37" was 2-3k people might be interested but 11"!

Bumder With A Buffer
normal LED tv's are thin enough now the Samsung 8 series are only about 15-20mm I think maximum. Even LCD's are fairly thin and my Samsung plasma isnt exactly a beast.

That was all I could see the benefit the Sonys had as they were 5mm or so but I never thought they would take off. Faaarr to expensive

Octy VRS
As mentioned in dk's thread they were flogging them for £200 at our staff shop the other week.

Shame as they looked frigging awesome picture quality wise.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i used one, they presented text terribly. thin but had no obvious use, was offered one for £200, didn't know what i'd do with it

1.8 Civic EX
why do Sony always try to be different (and generally fail lol)

Did anyone here actually own a Sony MiniDisk? lol

As mentioned in dk's thread they were flogging them for £200 at our staff shop the other week.

Shame as they looked frigging awesome picture quality wise.

i will give you 300quid for one ;)

me i loved mine still got 2 players and a md hifi i actually used them a few times last year :eek:

Last edited:

yeah i had one in the car panasonic mr 555
had it in my xr2 and primera but then it got stolen :(

!BjJiwjQ!mk~$(KGrHqIH-DYEs8gmynV+BLS,cmTPC!~~_12.jpg

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I said this would happen and that people would not buy an 11" OLED in a thread on here a few months ago.

Bumder With A Buffer
No Tom they ain't but they were along the same lines..bigged up to be the next best thing. I still have a Betamax actually, and one of those VCD things somewhere.

Cupra

Yes!! It was awesome at the time. Custom CDs in a small package. There was nothing else similar at the time as it was way before mp3s etc. It does not see the light of day anymore of course.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
It's not dead, just sleeping.

Think the whole point was LED lit LCD will be around first before they move back over to OLED at somepoint.

Octy VRS
I still have an MD player in my car lol! Have loads of mixes that I listen to that I haven't got on other formats and all the rest I just use an FM thingy. Seriously when it was around it was awesome especially the ATRAC format where you could get a whole Essential Mix on one disk. Sound quality was immense and they didn't scratch. It was quite a few years until MP3 came into play, sadly it never overtook cd's as they were cheaper to produce.

dk

911 GTS Cab
looks like its only the 11" one, not forgetting about the technology full stop.

the screen was the only one available at the time 2 years ago, but you couldn't buy one anywhere else except asia anyway.

They were definitely ahead of the time, when someone perfects a 37" at a reasonable cost i'm sure it will rear its ugly head again.

Unfortunately the gimmic of 3d tv's will be the big thing of the year.

sony are big innovators and the technology is normally superior, they lost out with betamax and minidisc even though they were great technologies, p**n killed off betamax though i think i read.

Sony finally won a battle with bluray.

we'll definitely see oled again, if people saw the quality of the picture in a shop it would blow them away and they would definitely want one if they afford it.

DMS

A thirsty 172
As above really. The technology will surface again at some point but at the moment everybody is jerking off over 3D TV. I'm not fussed about 3D TV myself... I don't want to wear "special" glasses to watch the telly.

OLED isnt dead. Neither is betamax

no oled isnt dead others are still pushing it but so far ita an awful technology to manufacture. a new startup has apparently developed a method of doing it cheaper and easier so maybe it may make a jump forward now only issue is apparently the quality isnt the best compared to the better oled manufacturing methods