ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinion Needed this noise, help!!!

Clio 182
Its been gradually getting worse,

Basically its a dronning noise which gets worse when I bare right, and disappears when I bare left, its at all speeds (obviously harder to hear the faster I go engine/wind noise) but its getting louder and is annoying

Would it been correct to assume its a wheel bearing, if so is there a way to tell for sure which wheel its coming from?

Cheers
Tom

Clio 172
Wheel bearing I'd say.

Put it on a ramp, put your hands at 12-6 on the wheel/tyre and rock it back nd forth, if there is alot of play then its shot also do the same at 3-9

cheers

As wear increases, the bearing loses it's ability to limit friction, and heat begins to build up. This leads to a downward failure spriral. When the heat becomes great enough, the grease lubricating the bearing will burn, further increasing friction and heat. At this point the driver will feel grinding and pull in the steering. After the loss of the lubricant, the friction of metal on metal builds heat rapidly, eventually reaching a point hot enough to soften the steel. At this point, a catastrophic failure of the axle, and separation of the wheel from the car is possible.

i love copy and paste

Clio 182
Well its the garage now, £50 for the part and £120 labour, I said that I think its too much and agreed £150 all in, does this sound ok for central London prices?

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Well its the garage now, £50 for the part and £120 labour, I said that I think its too much and agreed £150 all in, does this sound ok for central London prices?

Geeeesssseeee! Last one I had done was £20 for the part and an hours labour at £30, that was without VAT though. Under £60 all in though. That is in the Midlands though, but even for n London that seems expensive.

Clio 182
Done, now paid VAT on top of that too, I would have waited to go back to wales where my mate has a garage, but was scared by this;

"As wear increases, the bearing loses it's ability to limit friction, and heat begins to build up. This leads to a downward failure spriral. When the heat becomes great enough, the grease lubricating the bearing will burn, further increasing friction and heat. At this point the driver will feel grinding and pull in the steering. After the loss of the lubricant, the friction of metal on metal builds heat rapidly, eventually reaching a point hot enough to soften the steel. At this point, a catastrophic failure of the axle, and separation of the wheel from the car is possible"