ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions needed on tints

Skoda Fabia vRS

right, would you lot say tints deter thieves, or attract them

cos if they cant see into the car then thats good, but, would it make the car more attractive to them to try and steal ?

H22A7 Accord Type R

depends how dark u go mate!!!!!!!! stop copying!!!! just coz i asked u about tints at JJB, and now i have booked mine etc etc...........hehe!! I see where u are coming from. Im gonna go for a light tint, just to get that quality finish! so any scum should be able to still see in to realise there is nowt to nick!!

Rob

H22A7 Accord Type R

............. im sure under NO situation are u allowed to tint the windscreen??
[/QUOTE]

You can tint all windows

Windscreens must allow at least 75% through
Front side windows must allow at least 70% through
All other window have no limit as far as Im aware

Skoda Fabia vRS

the windscreen cant be tinted at all !.......its illegal

i would be going just for a light tint, as my interior is now black, and my mats are black, so you cant really see much in the car unless u put your face right up to the glass

H22A7 Accord Type R

........ur whole car is BLACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................... get it washed!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

H22A7 Accord Type R

i done mine last nite! that means u will be slacking on msn!!!!!! tut tut lol ;)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

U CAN TINT THE WINDSCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!

it just still has to let 75% light in, most screens come with a tint on them which just about lets 75% of light in, so u cant really tint them ne more.

No Malice is right. Up to 75% transmission is allowed, but the problem is that all standard glass on Clios comes already tinted to exactly on this limit, including the windscreen, so you cant go any further or itd be illegal. But some cars, eg. Corsa A, have completely clear glass all round, and you could in theory get away with applying a 75% aftermarket tint to it!

On front side windows 70% of light must be permitted to pass through. Bearing in mind that Clios come with 75% VLT tints, any aftermarket tints are actually illegal. It was on the news today that theyre about to clamp down on it. If anyone doesnt believe me about these limits by the way feel free to check for yourself on:

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/vehicle/standards/consum/04.htmhttp://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/vehicle/standards/consum/04.htm

uh huh! its all true

you can get the front windscreen & front windows tinted as long as 75% of light gets through & if you have one wing mirror or two wing mirrors you have have the rear windows (& quarters if you have them) & the rear windscreen done in limo black & its all legal!

& you know those cops have those light sensors now to see how much light can get through the windows, theres only 3 police stations in the UK using them & aparently they cant be calibated to 100% as of yet so any court case over this issue gets thrown out of the court!! that might be just hearsay but the facts about the tinting is all completely correct.

H22A7 Accord Type R

so..........my car booked in for tints............ 2002 clio, light tint.......im gonna get screwed?????? :cry:

There was one recent prosecution based on the evidence of a light meter reading. It was against a Range Rover owner who had ordered factory tints or privacy glass as theyre referred to in the Land Rover options sheet. Theyre 25% tints all round, and the person got a fine for non road worthiness, and a 10 day rectification order. Luckily so far this hasnt opened the floodgates for prosecutions, but the possiblity remains. Going by the news yesterday it seems they may have cottoned onto the revenue earner that £30-a-pop fines for tints could be for police forces, and theyre kitting them all out with new hi-tech light meters, so things might be about to change! I for one am screwed as I measured mine with my dads light transmission meter (he needs it for lenses as hes an optician) and mine are as follows:

Front sides 14.1 % transmission

Rear 10.4% transmission

Windscreen 25.8% transmission.

so the front sides are about 5 times more illegal than they should be!!! And Ive got a tinted sunstrip the same as the front sides which comes below the wipers span so this is illegal as well.

By the way the tints are officially 20% front and 15% rear, so you can see the difference that the factory tinted glass makes as well.

H22A7 Accord Type R

....ill smash my windows n get some pure non tinted clear glass!!!! what a load of w**k :sick: gonna have to get light tints, dont wanna cancel my booking

I promise you ANY Magma/Pentagon/any other company tint on the front side windows of a Clio is 100% illegal!!! Check the above link to the legislation and see for yourself. It was also on the news yesterday that theyre starting to clamp down. The regulation is that 70% transmission must be permitted, which means a maximum of 70% tints!!!! This is lighter than light smoke, and if youve ever seen a pane of glass with 70% tints youll know that you need to look through two or three panes over the top of each other to even see its tinted!! Well, Clios come with 76% tints from the factory. You could only add a further 6% of tint before it would be illegal and this would be virtually clear film! Therefore all aftermarket tints are strictly speaking illegal.

However, I wouldnt cancel my booking if I were you! Think of the hundreds and hundreds of people who are driving around every city with tints on their car. There is no way the police are going to book anyone for light or even medium smoke tints. But this is a matter of enforcement policy rather than actual law. Plus, you might as well go as dark as you like since any tints would be illegal anyway!

yeah but police are more likely to leave you alone & not notice you if u were to get a light tint or whatever all around! if you get limo black all over u will get pulled over for sure!!!!

Skoda Fabia vRS

ok !........

forget about em bein legal or not i dont care !.....it was only gonna be a light tint....

does anyone wanna comment on my original question ?

H22A7 Accord Type R

lol!!!!! Brun u rebbel!!!!!! I aint sure mate, the thieving eye crossed my mind too BUT.......i only want a light tint to enhance the look of the car, will still be able to see inside the car, that doesnt bother me!....... get it done mate!!! then we can compare at the next meet eh!! lol

Rob