ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions on Clio Sports...

Clio 197

Ok guys....

Id like to start a polite and friendly debate on what actually makes a "clio sport".

Is it an actual RS Clio 172/182 be it cup/non cup?

Is it a Valver?

Is it a Williams?

What about a 1.2 Clio with Bodykit, Loud Zorst and Alloys?

So ? :D

H22A7 Accord Type R

a clio that has sporty driving characteristics, sharp responses, and puts a smile on an enthusiastic drivers face............my 1.2 16v does that ;)

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 04 November 2004

a clio that has sporty driving characteristics, sharp responses, and puts a smile on an enthusiastic drivers face............my 1.2 16v does that ;)
I agree that the above is important.... but I think my own 96 N 1.2 wouldnt provide enough power to make it enjoyable...

Ive not really driven a 16v version... is it much better?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Clart on 04 November 2004
id say valver, williams, 172, cup, 182, v6.

Ditto, and maybe some of the higher powered diesel dynamiques, and 1.6s maybe?

Clio 197

I know that the v6/172/182 and Williams are official "sport" models....

.... have there been others in the past with different names/badges?

Mondeo STTDCI

As above.

If its got a Renaultsport badge its a Renault Sport. If not its not.

Would probably band Williams and Valver in with them though.

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 04 November 2004

the valver - plain and simple. it made cliosport as it was the original!
lol! :D

Tis a good question, Theers the Clio Sport and RenaultSport range nowadays. All really nice.

But id go for 172/cup/182/cup/V6/Williams/Valver personally

But the other ClioSport ranges must also be included.

Tom

Just to add a different slant:

Does the driver make it a Clio Sport? Ergo any clio driven by an enthusiast -driving or styling - is a clio sport possibly.

But does that mean a 172 isnt a Clio sport if my Gran is driving? Perhaps riding the clutch in 2nd at 5k revs and 15mph all the way to Penzance as she does.

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by KarlH on 04 November 2004

But does that mean a 172 isnt a Clio sport if my Gran is driving? Perhaps riding the clutch in 2nd at 5k revs and 15mph all the way to Penzance as she does.
LOL, I saw one the other day..... What a waste! (but at least that means a low milage second hand car for someone one here in a few years!)

Silver Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Willy Ph2 on 04 November 2004

williams, valver all the old skool are the best then all the new crap renault are bringing out after!!!!!!

will
So the V6 is crap then is it?

Full Fat 182 - Was..

sportier styling, increased power to a big engine, better handaling and the fact that it was designed to be a "sport" form the outset

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

If its a Clio with at least a tuned 1.8 16v lump in it, handling to match, then its a sport clio

say some one had a standart 1.2/1.4 mk 1 and had a valver lump in it but kept the standard non-sporty body work.....is that a sport clio???????

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by willclio16v on 05 November 2004

what about anything 130bhp upwards???????? just a suggestion
Thats the thing, Sport Clios are not all about power. theyre an all round balenced package with good brakes, handling, enough power ect

I woulnt say an RT converted valver is a sport clio as it still has biscuit RT sub frames ect.

id draw the line at 16v, williams, 172, cup, 182 and v6.

if only because they are/were the top of the line.

and i suppose it depends on your opinion on what a sporty car should be.

Quote: Originally posted by willclio16v on 05 November 2004

what about anything 130bhp upwards???????? just a suggestion

avantime/vel satis (i forget which) has a 160bhp turbo lump in it but id hardly call that sporty

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 05 November 2004

Thats the thing, Sport Clios are not all about power. theyre an all round balenced package with good brakes, handling, enough power ect

I woulnt say an RT converted valver is a sport clio as it still has biscuit RT sub frames ect.
id say thats hit it on the head!!

personally I would say the following:-

172, 182, 172 cup, 182 cup, williams, 16v, V6

But I would consider putting the clio dci 100bhp dynamique in there what do you think?

Not sure if I would include the Valver as a Clio Sport, as standard they are dog slow and would struggle to pull away from 2.0/TDi rep cars.

Clio 197

Ive heard that the first porsche had under 100 bhp....

.... so I guess we have to consider what would have been sporty at the time of production...

Someone has to remember that there is no "clio sport". There is only "Renault Sport" which is a separate company (linked) to Renault. Different factory. Differences abundant. The only models that qualify are 172, 182, V6 (all variances).

Williams is different again.

16V is different again.

All other models can NOT be as described, as the desciption stated does not exist.

Why cant people look into what they are talking about.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 06 November 2004

Someone has to remember that there is no "clio sport". There is only "Renault Sport" which is a separate company (linked) to Renault. Different factory. Differences abundant. The only models that qualify are 172, 182, V6 (all variances).

Williams is different again.

16V is different again.

All other models can NOT be as described, as the desciption stated does not exist.

Why cant people look into what they are talking about.

Agreed! If it wasnt made by RenualtSport its not one, quite simple really, not sure why everyone is debating about it.

Well Hi there me ol mucker,

been abroad for about 20 months, working.

Good to know there are still some old stallwarts here