ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions on this 172???

don't
Hey

A mate is looking at buying a 172 so today we went to take a look at this:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...category=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200640252632996

It was up at 4.5k in the week and is now down to 4,150.

Went down and took a look, body work is in pretty good condition, some small parking dents, 1 larger one on passenger rear quarter but generally good

Drivers seat leather was quite worn on the outside edge, and the common steering wheel problem where it looks like it's melted badly

Engine wise, on idle there was a bit of movement from the engine, is this normal or should it really not vibrate at all on idle??

service light was on, however he said he thinks it was last serviced in september, he said he's owned it for 2 years. all electrics and aircon worked fine

main problem, he didn't have any receipts for work and he has lost the log book aswell.

so its a bit worrying, if my mate did want it would he have to wait for the current owner to get a new logbook from dvla or can the old owner just write to dvla about the change of ownership?

anyone else taken a look at this car, or any other opinions?

Thanks

don't
yea the price is good, would offer 3900 i think as cambelt is due and the door dent is noticeable

worry is the logbook and receipts

drove nicely though, mods are exhaust, lowered and air filter with his custom airfeed

Bumblebee
im not sure, my car was the same mileage and was flawless when i bought it for 5 a year ago. Hold out.

BMW E46 330i Touring
The service light means there's a fault somewhere, although it could just be a dodgy wire connection.

The interior issues are nothing mate, they all wear. As for missing all service and V5, I'd be a bit concerned even if it was genuine...

don't
he can't actually sell it without the V5 can he???

dvla says it would cost him £19 for a replacement and could take up to a max of 6 weeks, if done all by post

if he rings up and there are no changes to be made would only take 10 working days it said

don't
I think the best thing to do, is to get him to stick 12 months mot on it

and get him to get a new v5 for it from dvla, and then go for it

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
looks alreet. i paid 4000 in feb for mine exactly like that but standard and mine had 70k on clock. that looks like its been lowered a touch too? saved u £100 there at least!

S-Max
Could be legitably lost though.....12 mths mot and new v5 and a cheeky £3750 offer based on no log book...

Vectra :(
I would ask him to get the V5 for it and also get it into renault for a diagnostic check to find out what the serv light is on for. Could be something simple but at the same time something costly. Was the airbag light on too as this is a common fault and would cause the SERV light to come on.

Other than that so long as it checks out on HPi i would say go for it

EDIT :: Black Ph1s are getting very rare now too!

don't
no other lights on apart from the one that says "service"

i thought this meant it was just due a service, on my 306 it has a service indicator that goes off every 16000 miles unless re-set

i take it on the 172 if it comes on it means there is a fault, rather than its got to the mileage where it needs another service

seller had also fitted a chip, (resister chip from ebay i'm thinking) he had unplugged something from the manifold area and had fitted a chip and then just left the plug unattached and taped up

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
If he's owned the car for 2 years why does he think it was serviceed in Sept.

Why doesn't he know for sure??

Sounds a bit dodgy to me 4k on a car that has no receipts,no log book and the service lights on.

I would leave it well alone.