ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Opinions please

Black 182 FF
Some old bloke (in some kind of Nissan people carrier?) reversed into my car when turning outside my house last night in the rain (God only knows how). Dont think him and his wife were actually going to stop, only me running out seemed to make him stop and eventually get out of his car, before he did his wife opened the window and asked "is it ok" as he was still turning around and moving away. Anyway he eventually got out and gave me his name, reg and phone number and he seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it which wouldn't be polished out. I pointed out the areas he's caught and how we'd not really be able to tell as it was dark. Anyway today I've phoned him and told him what it's like and I've sent him a photo and he seems ok with it, letting me get on with getting some prices at the moment. Anyway here's the pics.

th_IMAG0194.jpg

th_IMAG0193.jpg

(the long mark in the bottom pic is actually dirt/reflection).

He's caught the light a touch, but only a couple of minor scuffs that will easily be removed. He's caught the corner of the bumper and then the side of the bumper which is now pushed in a few cm more than it should be where it couples onto the wing and he's also caught the wing and there seems to be several deep scratches where close to where the bumper starts. The majority of it is just scuffed, but there is a bit of paint that's been removed.The rest of the bumper could probably do with being painted anyway, it just wasn't as urgent as it now is.

I'm wondering what the best way to deal with this will be, shall I contact a smart repair type person or would I be better with a body shop? Anyone know roughly how much something like this will cost? Hopefully he'll agree to pay as for that it's going to be a chew going through the insurance.

Black 182 FF
Had a rough quote of 160 by sending a pic to a mate of the family who is supposed to be good, but I'm not exactly sure what that was for as I told him the bumper could probably do with some paint anyway. Have to pop into a few places later for a better idea.

GT 86
Its not always the damage that you can see, you don't know what else could have been damaged out of sight (Hopefully nothing).

I think your right I don't think he would have bothered stopping :mad:, my next door neighbours father in law judges his parking as when he touches the car in front he is close enough WTF. A friend of mine has a brand spanking new Touran and he has already nudged that !! in his Ford Ka, his attitude is one of oh well no damage caused or it will polish out :banghead: ( The old boy now understands not to park near anything of mine now when he's visiting)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Take it to a garage of your choice mate and heavily avoid smart repairers like the plague. (sorry Rich :eek:)

Clio 197 RB
Make sure you phone up your insurance company first and tell them the basics.
If this guy doesn't pay up. You'll be in the s**t!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure you phone up your insurance company first and tell them the basics.
If this guy doesn't pay up. You'll be in the s**t!

That's not a good idea considering you could fix it with a little machine correction.

Not a 320d
Looks like machine correction would fix it. Juding by the state of the rest of your paintwork, most garages will be able to remove it for you without the need for a respray.

Black 182 FF
I was talking to a lad who give me a quote in a bodyshop yesterday and he reckoned 20 mins of machine polishing would sort it, however there would be scratches at the bottom of the wing which would still be there, but people would hardly notice. The problem is I would notice them and they werent there previously so I think its probably going to have to be painted.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Sometimes it can have an adverse effect painting it mate. Depends how bad the mark will be and will you really see it.

Black 182 FF
I think the corner of the bumper probably needs painting regardless. TBH the front bumper also needs painting/or some good polishing as it's got fine sort of chip/speccles in the paint and it's something I've been meaning to do for months, but was holding off till after the winter. Towards the wheel arch on the bumper I think I could probably buff that out myself if I wanted to - same goes for much of the marks on the wing. The bottom of the wing towards the arch where there's a line of scratches I possibly think they're too deep just to polish out and too many for me not to notice.

Then again if someone good was to do it they might get it spot on.

Black 182 FF
Another day, another quote....this time £150 and the bloke said exactly what I think before I actually said it!

Also had a email back from the bloke that hit it. Said he'd pay and it was his responsibiliy, also that his bumper had been pulled out and was ok (free of charge by his local garage apparently - Mercedes B class 180, not a Nissan!). He also said he thought my quotes were a bit high, so I've sent him todays in a j-peg and I await his reply.

I also contacted my insurance and notified them just incase.