ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OPTIMAX - is it worth it

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

will it make a difference on a 1.4 16v 2004 clio?

my old 306 1.4 8v managed to get 117 downhill once, and i had just filled the tank up wit optimax...by accident! cost (my mum) £54!

nuts

so yeh, please can some1 answ my question...cheers

-phil-

if ur looking for a top speed increase from Unleaded to SU forget it

reduces pinking, detonation suitable mostly to turbos runnin high boost

Well EVO proved that it looks after the engine better than any other fuel, so even if u dont get any performance gains,

personally speakin its worth the extra pence, just for that.

ex Clio 172 owner :(

my car runs like s*** without higher ron than normal fuel. think thats more down to my car being s*** though.

Can you just start using Optimax or any other higher 98RON fuel when you have always been using normal unleaded.......is it ok to just start pouring the better stuff into your fuel tank even tho its still probly got about a quarter of a tank of normal unleaded in it.....?:oops:

And will they look after a lil 1.2 Clio.......im not looking for improved performance or MPG, just a smoother running engine....

Thinking of using John Smiths coz its smooth......;)

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Quote: Originally posted by Cliofanman on 17 April 2004

Can you just start using Optimax or any other higher 98RON fuel when you have always been using normal unleaded.......is it ok to just start pouring the better stuff into your fuel tank even tho its still probly got about a quarter of a tank of normal unleaded in it.....?:oops:

And will they look after a lil 1.2 Clio.......im not looking for improved performance or MPG, just a smoother running engine....

Thinking of using John Smiths coz its smooth......;)

Course you can just put it in, you cant always find optimax/S+ so sometimes I put regular in, they mix fine.

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.
The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower.htm horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

I aint put any Optimax in my Williams yet..

Was planning on, using Unleaded then putting Optimax in every now and again.. heh.

Unless the advanatage that higer RON offers (advance timing) can be utilised its a waste of money.

I dont think a 1.4 will take any advantage of potential advanced timing so its a waste.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

ive tried optimax in the past but i cant say ive ever noticed a difference. i just put some through every so often.

I disagree, the optimax seems to give a little more punch at high revs. Not saying it affects the very top speed, but certainly make its it a lot nippier at high revs.. Have to use it for a few tanks to find the full effects. Worth the extra pennies.

deffo not 10P more a ltr........

for your bum dyno to actualyl fee any difference in high rpm power you would need over 5 wheel hp difference. And the fuel does not give you that sorry. Especially not on an F7P.

TDI tyre shreader

i use it and i sware it gives me better fuel economy, recently drove down to my mates in torquay averaged about 42mpg, on the way back got 38mpg on tescos reg unleaded and if anything i was driving slower due to a weekends worth of beer!!!